McHale S-Sarc option ideas?

foraker

Much to my surprise, I'm going to see Dan McHale on Friday to demo a pack. I thought I'd be on the wait list longer than that. So basically I'm trolling for people's ideas on what they put on or left off on theirs. Right now, I'm thinking cordura S-Sarc Plug and Go without zippered bag access, standard sort of other crap. I'm not thinking about ski mountaineering with it right now since I'm not a good enough skier yet but who knows?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For skis, the standard side straps are plenty long. If you want the option to put bulkier items like sleeping pads and tents and ropes on the side of your pack, ask for extra long side straps. Bulky items carried on the side of your pack will interfere with arm movement, but there are plenty of times when I seem to want to do this.

I had him put a side zip on mine, a half circle access port on one side. I stuff a down coat into that area of the pack as I load it, and I can pull it out at rest stops and stuff it back in without opening the top of the pack. Dan was hesitant when I asked for this, but when I explained the fact that I like to carry the pack without a coat on but have access to it at rest stops he decided my modification had sufficient "merit" that he'd pollute his perfect design with it. I have been happy with this modification.

I have a SARC built with pack cloth, it is plenty tough, I think the Cordura is overkill. I went without the zippered bag access. I also had him put the smaller Zero SARC hipbelt on to save weight and improve mobility. I am impressed with how well the set up carries. I have carried as much as 60 lbs on training hikes with no discomfort.

I agree with mattp, longer side straps would be nice for strapping down thick winter sleeping pads and the like.

Over the years I have had Dan make me 3 packs. The Critical Mass Alpine II Bayonet, Zero SARC and a Super SARC. The last of the 3, the Super SARC which I ordered this year, I chose to go without the zipper. I never really used it on the Zero SARC and seldom on the CM Alpine II. I'm not all that into light packs but more into something that is bomber. I chose 1000 and 640 Cordura materials. Pretty much Dan's traditional style packs. I seem to have a need for all 3 packs although the CM Alpine II is strictly for Expeditions. It's big!

Dan knows how to make packs. Great guy and will build to your needs. Stick to you order and don't make any major changes at the last minute and you'll come out with a excellent pack that will last you a lifetime. thumbs_up.gif

Good idea about the straps, mattp. Hadn't thought about that. Thanks! The demo I have has the kangaroo pouch and it seems plenty useful so that might be a keeper. Was also thinking of bumping up the volume slightly for my puffy down bag and getting an extra buckle put on for the waist belt (just insurance for any really heavy load). Thinking of staying with the Dyneema grid fabric, actually. I like the light weight. My plan is also to have it be zipperless with a full spectra bottom. I thought about a reinforcement for the top where one puts crampons but since I already have an OR crampon bag that would strap there it's probably not necessary.