Voice-Over-IP

olyclimber

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We use Vonage at home - $14.99/month for 500 minutes anywhere in the US. We love it. Cheap - tons of free features. Reliable. I'd say the sound quality is sometimes worse, and it obviously relies on your IP access, but overall its been super cheap and reliable.

Plus I fucking hate Quest, and ditched them all together for a cable DSL.

Just be aware that you will be 100% relying on electricity for a phone connection.

Granted, your existing phone is probably electric dependent, but if you have an old-fashioned corded phone around you could still dial out in a power outage.

I thought about this, but I have a cellphone and can use that if there is a localized power outage. if that is dead too then there is some major shizzle going on.

It would be interesting to know how this tech holds up in a natural disaster of some kind (earthquake in seattle, etc) relative to the cell network. My guess is it would go down pretty quickly, but who knows. I guess loss of power would tak out anything.

Since it relies on the existance of a working broadband connection, it isn't going be that resiliant in a major disaster...but then perhaps not much will be (maybe a standard, analogue phone line would be more resiliant). Then you'll be glad you got an amateur extra license so you can geek out and CQ CQ.

Thinking of the last "event", there was the last earthquake here in Seattle. As I recall, the cellphone networks were effected as everyone tried to call their mom at the same time, not because the network actually went down. The land lines do have an advantage in this respect, because they are more resistant to overloading.

The land lines do have an advantage in this respect, because they are more resistant to overloading.

And power issues. With my luck, when I need an aid car dispatched to my place, my ISP will be down AND my cell phone will have 3 seconds of battery left.

Which also brings up another point - most likely where you're at, the minute you call 911 from a land line, they know where exactly you're calling from. Not so with a cell.

Might also be an issue if you have a security system tied into the land line.

try skype...its free. www.skype.com

It doesn't replace the phone but it keeps you in touch with people where ever they may be. My wife talks to her family in Brazil everyday, sometimes for hours, for free.....other than the cost of the net connection. Sound quality is better than the phone too(mostly).

I use skype, but I want something to use with my regular phones that I can configure to use local 911, etc.

They say no annual contracts, so what's the committment?

I don't think there is a commitment other than maybe if you use your existing phone number, and you want to go back to POTS, then you might have lag time between the switch over. Also, you've got to put out money to buy the VOIP device(s).

I have cable now, but hate getting smileysex5.gif by comcast when DSL is only like $25/month. I was under the impression though that a phone line was necessary for DSL to work. Although I dont know why I thought that.

the line is necessary, but the voice phone service isn't. I haven't checked into how much just the DSL line is, but I think it should be $10-20 + the $ for the DSL Internet connection ($20 with my current provider).