Red Rocks near Thanksgiving

jhamaker

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The City of Rocks? This time of year? Bad idea. Lived in Montana for a while and found that the City- being HIGH IN ELEVATION- usually has snow from Nov-May. Catch it on a warm day and wear gators/snow boots for approach shoes.... if you can even drive in there. A better bet is to (gasp!* sport climbing is *neither*) hit up the 1000+ short routes nearby at Massacre Rocks. Sunny, warm, belay-from-your-tent kinda place year-round, and it's right off the highway from where you turn to the longer drive to City. Though, true, the City is a dream if the setting is right.

I'd be up for a fri-evening-to-thursday-evening around thanksgiving trip to Red Rocks. Know the place well. Would mind Wild Turkey, Epenepherine, etc, if you're in for it.

Things are popping now. 1280 mi Tacoma to Vegas, 23 hr drive. I'm replacing some of my stoppers w/ tricams and breaking out the helium biners for qd's and slings. Hmm, should I bring rabbits for a longer reach? I can't remember what we used most of for slings last time.

Massacre Rocks sounds like a good stopover point. I'll look it up.