Ortovox F1 problem

fern

This last weekend I discovered what I consider a serious design problem with the F1 beacon. This is a pretty old style beacon, but I don't know if the fundamental design issue applies to other newer Ortovox models as well.

After testing the beacon with my partner I switched the dial back to send mode, but the switch must not have fully engaged. Somehow this caused a battery short. I was skinning up the trail, wondering why I was getting so hot when I wasn't even working that hard. Then I noticed that the heat was localized and considerably more than I generate with my bodyheat and ripped the beacon off and removed the batteries which were almost hot enough to burn my hand. If I had been wearing more clothes and unable to dig out the beacon as fast, I might have ended up with a serious burn on my torso.

Although I have never heard of this happening before, the fact that the design of the beacon makes it even possible to short the batteries is pretty scary to me. Especially since this short occurs from a pretty basic aspect of using the beacon: switching between the send and receive modes. I will be returning this beacon to the store and getting a new one.

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I have had the same thing happen with a King handheld radio when I accidentally keyed the mic by cramming the earpiece of my sunglasses between the key and the strap holding the radio to my radio bra. Having the mic keyed for a prolonged period of time rather than intermittently with normal radio use, sucked the life out of the batteries and started to cook the nylon material of the bra. I would suspect that a similar type of "short" happened with your transceiver. Did your partner ever switch to recieve and get a constant signal rather than the intermittent ping? Although this malfunction with a transceiver could have fatal consequences, at least you werent broadcasting the details of your recent conquest with a co-worker over the Forest Service District repeater. hellno3d.gifthumbs_down.gif

Tee hee, LOL

I'm not sure that a constant "beep" would draw enough to make a transceiver heat up like that. Just speculation of course. Either way, it sounds like that beacon is toast. I sure wouldn't trust it again. Perhaps it has other problems that somehow manifested themselves in this incident.

Or perhaps it was in handwarmer mode?

Time for a Barryvox or a Tracker, eh fern?

Its not the sound Im talking about, in fact, there is no sound unless there is a tranceiver set on receive. Its the constant power draw on the batteries and continuous output that causes the heat to build. Not unlike doing laps in the gym. Some routes I could climb all day with adequate rest between reps. However, continuous climbing of these routes is likely to result in me breaking a sweat after a few reps. Kinda similar. Actually, Im full of shite. Nevermind. Im sure there are some electrical engineers out there that could 'splain it better. I agree that its time for fern to upgrade.

Fern, you should add this story to an article I remember reading on bivviewack.com a few years back that calculated the mathematical odds that a transceiver is worth using. It would throw a good curveball into the guy's calculations.

What a story. I am going to stick with my first generation 457 Pieps from the mid-90s.

once I cooled the batteries in the snow and reinstalled them it seemed to still operate fine, though it smelled a little acrid. When I was getting chilled at lunchtime I considered shorting the switch again to warm up a little. tongue.gif ... I think I will get a Barryvox.