cameras

glassgowkiss

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, i looked at these before. this is a major drawback- doesn't have a view finder. you have to use little screen to make a shot and the screen is a major energy vampire, specially in the cold. so taking a camera like that to alaska would be out of the question. i am leaning more and more towards canon powershot s70 or there is a new one on the market- s80 with 8.3 mp

yes, i looked at these before. this is a major drawback- doesn't have a view finder. you have to use little screen to make a shot and the screen is a major energy vampire, specially in the cold. so taking a camera like that to alaska would be out of the question. i am leaning more and more towards canon powershot s70 or there is a new one on the market- s80 with 8.3 mp

I used mine all last winter and didn't notice any battery issues... but then again I always had it next to my body when not in use. I do know they sell extra batteries for a reasonable price... you could just buy a few extra and swap as they drain out.

Also I am fairly certain one other company makes a WP 5.0 MP camera... I just can't recall who... it just came out... it might have a viewfinder wave.gif

The new olympus stylus 8 MP is water resistant, meaning it has rubber gaskets and stuff, but cant actually be used under water like the pentax. I beleive it has a view finder and gets good reviews. I also would no be too concerned about batteries as the technology has gotten way better in recent years. Another option I noticed the other day is that you can buy optically clear zip-lockesque bags where any camera can be made relatively waterproof. Supposedly image quality remains good.

bob- I've been using the s30 (first 3MP version of the s80) for 3-4 years now. It is one hell of a robust camera. Has taken a couple blows against the rock, been superficially wet quite often, and the battery has kept its charge even through that many years of cycles. I've only ever needed one battery as well. It has a larger battery than the ultra compacts which helps in cold weather. The batteries worked well through a rockies trip when temps were generally 0F-20F. It had some problems a couple years ago with -10 to -15F, I needed to keep the battery in my pocket for it to work. but I think putting a shake handwarmer in with the camera would solve that.

I've kept the camera on my pack strap or harness, in a simple velcro-top sundog case. a little padding, but no water proofing. Has kept the camera dry enough through pouring rain, powdery snow, slushy waterfalls, etc.. I just wouldn't submerge it (though you can buy a s80 underwater housing for that).