Lynn Hill and Yabo

crazyjizzy

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I just caught her when she was off. But when I heard her talk last year, she couldn't really string two thoughts together in a logical way. There was no order to her slides, and she didn't tell a single story that had a beginning, middle, and an end. Random, disconnected thoughts were thrown out with no conclusion or tie-in to the next thought. And although she mentioned some things about life lessons in general, none of it sounded like insightful introspection--it mostly sounded like regurgitated platitudes placed between short sentences like, "Here I am climbing xxxx in Patagonia." period, no details. It was a bit strange.

She did, however, talk about her pregnancy and how her kid affected her life. It was impressive to see a slide of her climbing her first climb since giving birth--it was a 5.13 or so. It was also cool to see how really, really tiny she is. She packs a lot of power in a small package.

I saw Lynn Hill speak in B'ham a few years ago, and I have to agree -- though her show was enjoyable and she's an amazing person, she didn't have much showmanship on stage. I kinda got the same feeling from Steve House too (at FF a year ago). Will Gadd and Timmy O'Neill, on the other hand, are absolutely amazing speakers.

Bridwell puts on a show that defies words. When I first saw him in '81, he was so stoned (as was I) that little made sence. I also went to his show in '99, and he showed every slide of a trip to Alaska, and board me to death.

I remember seeing Jack Roberts and Tobin Sorenson after they had climbed Kitchner in winter. Jack was in a wheel-chair with frostbite, and was on pain meds. Some good slurring occured.

Worst slideshows EVER:

1) Brian Pegg ("Mr. Sleazy" on cc.com) at the Baldwin/Cooper climb 40th anniversary party at the Brew Pub. Holy crap did he ever drone on - reading out a prepared text - 15 minutes a slide - cleared out the whole place. People were walking out in droves unless they had been stupefied to the point of insensibility. yellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gifyellowsleep.gif

2) Lisa Gnade at VIMFF. OMFG the archetypal random slideshow with no coherent storyline, delivered in a toneless drawl "Oh, that's my husband - he's climbing a crack. {Next slide] I think this is Nepal? [Next slide] Susie has the nicest pony."

i'd have to agree with bridwell, his bear tooth slideshow was almost intolerable, but he did have one redeeming moment:

"and so i said, you gonna lead that pitch?, and he said no, so i said well then, shut the fuck up, get back in that snow scoop and start cooking"

i can't tell you how many times i've used that line in the years since then. we stayed for the rest of the 3 hour show hoping for more, but we were sorely disappointed.