shuksan, fisher chimneys

enem

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

talked to some mountaineers on the summit pyramid on sunday and asked if the chimneys were dry and they said yes. dont know the beta on the curtis but the north face is in perfect conditions right now, just to let you know- get out there. [smile]

The chimneys go snow free. The route is in great shape right now.

We saw a single climber going in. His partner had broken his pelvis attempting to enter the chimneys the nite before. He was heli'ed out the morning we went in 7/18.

Fun route.

Smoker

Three years ago, some dude CARTWHEELED down the upper gully and stopped on the trail, which is like a foot wide at the base of the gulley, with a casket-filling plummet into the void on the other side. Lucky!

Speaking of heinous injuries on the Fischer Chimney's. I watched some dude try to climb Winnie's Slide in the heat of the day, wearing crampon's in the slush. He fell and shredded his calf with his crampon's. Luckily, he had just got us baked, so I was too stoned to really be there for that one.

When michael_layton was a rookie, he fell fifty feet onto his back into an "Ice Cave" (moat) at the enterance to the route. Fascinating!

-J

There is a gully step followed by more scree traversing before reaching the chimneys proper.

I was not there but the evidence in the snow led me to believe that the climber fell crossing the moat on this first gully.

I hacked out a much better stance, getting onto the rock, knowing that someone had been busted up there.

We had the whole route to ourselves [Cool]

S

I was descending the fisher chimney route 3 years ago and watched as a guy slid down a snow slope, flew off a 15' cliff, hit, slid some more, fell off another 15-20' cliff, landed, and tumbled another 40' feet before coming to a halt. We ran to his aid. One of the guys I was with was an EMT and began acessing him. He jumped to his feet and said in a strong german acsent "I'm f&*cking fine, just f%&cking pissed" and walked off. [Eek!]