MEC Ferrata Pants

armin

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had a pair of the older style Ferratas (bellows thigh pocket and elasticized cuffs) for four or five years and they've been great for all my non-winter alpine adventures. I'm not too keen on the new styling, but as far as the fabric itself goes, they're just starting to get some pilling in high wear areas, and should be good for at least a couple more years. thumbs_up.gif

Response from MEC:

Both the Ferrata 3 Simplex (5001-337, $115.00 CAD) and the Ferrata 3 Ultra (5000-774, $145.00 CAD) Men's Pants are made from Schoeller Dryskin Extreme fabric, which is a blend of 80% nylon for abrasion resistance, 10% spandex for stretch, and 10% polyester for moisture wicking. Both pants feature 2 hand pockets, 1 small thigh pocket, belt loops, and a fly front with snap and zipper.

However, the Simplex has a tapered leg, to reduce the amount of flapping material below the knee. The Ultra has a near-straight leg, and features a double seat and double knees for even more wear-resistance, as well as drawcords at the ankles, to restrict the entry of debris into the lower part of the leg.

• 2 weeks later...

I used the Ferrata Simplex pants on two multi-day alpine climbing trips this summer (glacier travel, snow and ice climbing) as well as spring and fall backpacking and scrambling. They do a good job of blocking the wind (not windproof, but very close) and repelling snow and light rain. I'm sure that there are better soft-shell pants out there, but at $115 I figured it was worth taking a chance on them. No regrets.