Ingalls S. Face

AlpineClimber

I heard rumor that someone took it upon themselves to remove all of the rap/belay slings off of the route not long ago. If true, Thanks alot to whoever thought that was necessary. Good news is that new ones have been added.

What's the best selection of pro on the red slab on this route? Are larger cams and hexes (3"+) best for this section?

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got yelled at a couple of years ago for removing all of the webbing off of the two large metolius rap bolts on the middle of the face. THere is no reason for there to be any webbing on this type of anchor. They are designed for rope to thread right through them. The next anchor below that has been a hazard for years, and needed removed. As far as I am concerned the only anchor that needs any webbing on that route is the top one to get you over the edge. Alternatively you could always walk off the back side.

You can rap with one rope. Even though Ingalls is a popular peak, bringing rappel slings, or being prepared to leave some of the slings you brought for pro, is standard alpine practice.

I remember there being bolted belay stations every half-ropelength on the South Face, so setting up rappels with your own gear would be much easier than usual.

I've rapped the south face with a single rope. There was one rap station (that you only need when rapping on a single rope) way over on the climbers right side of the route, about half way down, that was kind of spooky. It was a wad of slings that were somehow wedged behind a loose rock. When I asked my partner how to go about rapping off this shoddy looking anchor his advice was "don't look at it". cantfocus.gif Perhaps this is the hazardous anchor that may have been removed (see the ambiguous post by Allasdair above). Has this bad anchor been replaced so that the route can still be rapped with a single 50M rope?

Edited by Nick