Mellow alpine climb in hwy 99 corridor?

J_Fisher

I'm looking to find a mellow alpine climb within an hour or 2 from Squamish. Ideally, not too strenous approach (sub 2.5 hours?) and 3d class to mid 5th in difficulty and no complicated glacier shenanigans. Basically, something suitable to do with my early 60s father, whose got tons of experience in the hills but is not the spring chicken he once was. I did the ever-popular Tooth outside Seattle with him a couple years ago, and something in that vein would be perfect, assuming such a thing exists. I've thumbed through Alpine Select but nothing jumped out at me and I'm unfamiliar with all but the cragging up there. any suggestions?

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

is there a non-strenuous way to get to Blackcomb? i thought the chair lifts were closed to 7th Heaven.

drove up 2 weeks ago. but that was with permission & radio check in points with respect to constrxn. we had to be out by 5ish re: the gate.

Edited by luwayo

Tricouni from Chance Ck roads - 4WD needed. Super quality

Having made two trips to Tricouni (E. Ridge & N. Ridge) in the last month, I would highly recommend this as an objective. The approach from the end of the Chance Creek road is about as casual as it gets.

The Black Tusk is cool. Spectacular views of emerald-green Lake Garibaldi, alpine meadows, and a fun but body-choked chimney scramble.

Recent reports are that a gate at 4.5 km on the Black Tusk microwave road is currently open, but new BC Parks signage indicates that only authorized motor vehicles may proceed past that point. Other much less convenient access options are via Cheakamus Lake or the Garibaldi Lake trail.

Thanks for all these suggestions. Turns out my dad was mostly interested in rock climbing. We goofed around in the Smoke Bluffs on Saturday, including taking my sister toproping for her 1st experience rock climbing (note to self: Krack Rock is not a good place to take newbies their first time out . . .). Yesterday we climbed Diedre. Being a Monday we were not crowded by other parties and a good time was had.