Fall Routes North Cascades

TyClimber

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Black Peak (see my recent TR) is a good outing.

N F Burgundy (see my recent TR) is also good, a bit longer and more technical.

Eldorado is a classic late season objective with route options, before the first significant storms make the approach a pain.

W Ridge of N Twin sister is the classic Fall midweek after-work ramble.

You might look up "Mythic Wall" a new route near Bellingham, that would be a fine fall objective in the Sisters range, as well.

As mentioned, there is no shortage of good route choices this time of year. A couple of factors to be aware of: 1. Glaciers are likely to be broken up (Baker!) and involve tricky moats. 2. Alpine rock climbing is funnest when you can feel your fingers – climbs higher than 5,000’ (WA Pass) better damn well be in the sun (would avoid BRRR-gundy N. face), 3. The huckleberries are outstanding this year. That said, a fun alpine rock route would be the W. Buttress of South Early Winters Spire (~III 5.8). Good luck.

Real ice climbs are in short supply in the Cascades, until winter arrives anyway (which may happen as early as another month or so up high), but the North Ridge of Baker offers a good and relatively easy ice climb.

At this time of the year, the busted up glacier approach will be quite challenging and may involve some technical climbing in and out of crevasses but I bet never a Fall passes without somebody doing it even though others have declared it "impassable."