YIKES!!!

olyclimber

frown.gif

Rock Slide Kills 3, Closes Westbound I-90

September 11, 2005

KING COUNTY - Three people were killed early Sunday morning in a rock slide that has shut down westbound Interstate 90 near Snoqualmie Pass.

Washington State Patrol Trooper Kelly Spangler said a large section of a rock wall broke off the hillside and fell on a car just after 1 a.m., crushing the three people who were inside.

"These are very, very large rocks," she said.

No other cars were hit.

Department of transportation engineers are working to stabilize the hillside where the rock broke free about two miles west of Snoqualmie Pass.

Westbound traffic on I-90 is being stopped at Easton near milepost 70, Spangler said.

Troopers expect the interstate to remain closed to westbound traffic until at least 12 p.m so a state geologist can inspect the area.

The names of the three people who were killed have not been released

i90_slide_091105.jpg

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When driving out toward Port Townsend, going about 60mph, I saw some branches falling down towards my windshield...which I thought was odd because there was no wind...and then I looked in the rearview mirror and there was an alder tree, about a foot and 1/2 in diameter lying across the road just behind me. I have no idea why it fell, but less than a second made the difference for me.

It is too bad that those people got killed in an avalanch on the road--hope it was a least painless for them. Very sad.

I got caught in the traffic heading back from Index--all the folks who turned around due to the rockfall compounded the traffic problem. It was a bit of a wait. On the radio, they kept saying that the 90 is still a safe road--like they were trying to convince people to not change their driving habits in the future. Duh, with so few choices to get back into Seattle, what do they think people are going to do?

I think this is alarming because people assume snoqualmie is the least

prone to these types of events because the pass elevation is so low and the terrain is so mellow. The average commuter that goes over the pass rarely makes it out the car or even up to snow lake. An event like this might make someone without much knowledge on how loose the cascades are, re-consider there choice to and from grandma's house over in roslyn. I would think taking 97 and then stevens would be a greater threat for rockfall.