Crazy Fingers, a jewel in the rough?

This route at the center section of Middle East Wall is so popular that bushes are growing out the base and cobwebs adorn the face. It's a nice route, but it is shunned because it lacks a permanent anchor. The "anchor" on the adjacent project is not really an anchor but two bolts vertically separated by about five feet with a ribbon of tat connecting them. They also are not very easy to get to from Crazy Fingers. We ended up pulling the roof and finishing on top and walking off. It's not that bad, but it apparently turns off a lot of people. Sex party gets all the traffic and I think it is just a face climb with a crack to the right of it for protection. Crazy fingers actually has better jams. If you are over that way, I suggest giving Crazy Fingers a go.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that it is a quality route, climbed it about a year ago. The route has good finger jambs and is one of the cleaner crack climbs on the wall, as you mentioned. I don't remember any cobwebs or dirt on the route, I thought it was a very good climb. That bush at the base is not really in the way either.

When we did it, the 2 project bolts were not even connected. That tat you found was probably ours that we added. I thought the anchor as we left it was adequate. Sure it would be better to have it's own double bolt anchor and chain setup, but we didn't have a drill with us. The traverse over to the top of the fingernail sized seam from Crazy Fingers is pretty straighforward and should not dissuade potential climbers.

Bob Loomis leading it last year...

109900.jpg

JY told me that the project had a pair of chains, but that they were stolen by someone who believes everyone should walk off trad climbs on the mesa top. Never mind that this is at odds with the wishes of the land manager.

The question remains, will someone send that project on the left? It looks hard.

• 3 weeks later...

Hmmm, is the project you speak of the seam directly to the left of the climber in the photo? If so, that is a cool looking line! My question to those who have seen it is how far from other crack systems is the seam. In the picture there appears to be a wider crack just to the left. Is the project an independent and pure line or a desperate eliminate??

• 3 weeks later...

You can stem into the other crack if you're tall AND flexible, but it doesn't really help you. Getting out of that stem position and moving upward from it was harder than the tips crack.

I don't think it's much harder than 12d on TR, FWIW.

Leading it is a much different story.

"Snickers to the chossroom. Calling Snickers to the chossroom. Thank you."