Accident@ Beacon on 8-30-05

Kendra

Did anyone nab my anchors/quick draws?

Im alive with 15 stitches and ten staples in my head.

If someone grabbed my gear id really like it back.

It was obviuosly the seen of an accident with a copious amount of blood at the base of the climb.

If anyone thought it was free gear I'd be extremly disapionted.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What happened? Sounds like you're mostly OK? Beacon can be nasty sometimes (I'm speaking from personal experiance), GLAD YOU SURVIVED.

Care to share?

PS, Don't have a clue and have not heard about the gear: sorry. Sounds like it might be the least of your troubles. JC! 10 staples, 15 stitches? Wow! Best (worst) I ever got was a cracked wrist and a head goose egg/concussion when I was just learning the craft -but it was a 50 footer or so while downclimbing to beat the sinking sun.

Kendra,

Sorry to hear the news. Following up on Bill's request for more info - what route were you on and could you describe events and protection in a bit more detail. Thanks. Also, did the park staff get notified? We'll get the word out and we will try to track down your gear for you. Sorry to hear Scott and you had a rough day out there...

Joseph

[see you answered the questions while I was typing this one, thanks...]

Edited by JosephH

It so happened there was a ranger on sight trying to recover someones dog that fell from the top. So the state knows.

Becuase there is only one feature for hands, feet and pro it was nearly unaviodable(snagging my foot). The piece i kicked out was a #5 BD micro nut, it was a great placement but i kicked it upwards loosing the nut. I flipped upside down, which i fully remeber and landed on my stomach. I fell right after the crux placing the third piece, actually I called take then droped. I never lost awareness and remeber everything. Spent three and a half hours in the ER and stayed overnight @ Southwest medical. Ill be climbing by next week (@Beacon)and will red piont later this year. My will has not been shaken.

-Scott

Edited by Kendra

The ranger was John Ernster I belive.

He was in the parking lot when I came walking out.

Im not sure if he caught my name but it was the first major accident of the year so i assume he will remeber me.

-Scott

Edited by Kendra

Scott,

Thanks, it was John (and Erik Plunkett) that I wanted to be sure was alerted to the accident. Again, we are very glad to hear you'll be making a full recovery and taking this episode and the lessons it offers in stride with such a healthy and forthright attitude...

Joseph