Highway 20 closed

To_The_Top

I heard on the news that Highway 20 was closed due to an avalanche at milepost 167, just west of Washington Pass. There was a mention that a vehicle may have been caught in the 30' deep 100' wide slide, that may have the highway closed for sometime. Bummer, I almost went there today.

TTT [Roll Eyes]

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea I saw them cleaning one of them up. It was below the east face of Lib Bell . . It was down to one lane and it brought rocks down with it , big ones too. Just a heads up out there: There were lots of cornice collapse and avvies everywhere in the high country . Gravity flexing

[ 05-27-2002, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: wayne1112 ]

I drove through there in the morning around 9:30 on Monday and it was still open. I saw a slide right underneath Libertry Bell and it almost took down a car. I'm sure they closed it right after that. The weather there was nice and warm with broken clouds and no rain. We parked at the overcrowded Blue Lake Trailhead but there was still room for vehicles. Went skiing and the snow was pretty nice spring corn. Saw some parties up the Becky's route and everything looks to be in. Nice day to be up there....

My friend and I were up on the ridge just south of south arete of early winter spires Monday evening through Tuesday morning. There were some awesome slides and the one that covered the road was amazing. Not sure if we actually saw the slide hit the road as it was getting dark, but just above the hair pin we saw a big chunck of cornice cut loose, and clean the slope below it. One word of advice don't try and go do the N. face of Mt. Maude the road is closed like 15 miles shy of trinity. Call the ranger station, the S.E. couloir on early winters is a poor substitute.