Ruth Peak question

jrussell

I'm planning on heading up north next week and was wondering if crevasses are an issue on the standard route up Ruth. I saw the solo TR so I am assuming that we would be fine without a rope. I'd like to camp on the summit and enjoy the view as neither my girlfriend or I have ever been to the North Cascades. Also, if anyone has any suggestions of some easy climbs to do in a day or two in the area we have a few extra days to kill. By easy I mean able to do without a rope, unless its just for crevasse safety. Thanks for any help/suggestions.

Jon

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No rope necessary for Ruth. While you are there you might as well do Icy. I'd bring a rope for that though many may not. This is a nice easy weekend trip with some of the most spectacular views of Baker and the Price Glacier on Shuksan. We camped just before you

descend the steep, loose gully leading down to the Ruth/Icy col. No need to carry your camp any further.

if you're still looking for easy climbs in the area (sort of) try thornton peak (peak between thornton lakes and mt. triumph). It's off hwy 20, in N. Cascades NP, so you'd have to backtrack from the mt. baker highway. Great views of the Pickets and close up of triumph, more of a high alpine hike and scramble than nearby dayhike trapper's peak, but still easy stuff. You can continue down the ridge rather than return to the trail, then drop down steep forest to the car to make it a loop. I did it in 10 hours of travel time last year, and I'm no speed demon.