[TR] A coupla hicks climb the Three Dicks, 8/6/05

Lowell_Skoog

My brother Gordy and I were both free on Saturday and neither of us could remember when we last went climbing together. I wanted to go somewhere scenic and he wanted to climb something he hadn't done before, so we settled on The Triad, a nice relaxed trip. As I remembered from my last trip, the approach was at least as good as (maybe better than!) the climb.

"The hills are alive..." Julie Andrews is busting out in song just over the next ridge:

20050806-0002-Triad.JPG

Here Gordy is wishing he had real boots instead of Cinder Cones and real crampons instead of Katulas. This is the north facing snowfield just west of The Triad:

20050806-0004-Triad.JPG

On the east ridge of the middle peak, beginning the roped climbing:

20050806-0012-Triad.JPG

On the east ridge of the middle peak:

20050806-0014-Triad.JPG

On top of the Big Dick:

20050806-0016-Triad.JPG

Eldorado Peak and the Marble Creek cirque from The Triad:

20050806-0006-Triad.JPG

We climbed only the highest peak. On the way home, we found a better way to cross the snowfield west of The Triad. Cross low and look for a snow finger near the west edge:

20050806-0023-Triad.JPG

It's impressive to consider that Art Winder and friends made the first ascent of Eldorado Peak in 1933 from Sibley Creek in twelve hours round trip, pioneering the whole Triad high route along the way. Ours was about a ten hour round trip. Here we're walking home along Sound of Music ridge:

20050806-0028-Triad.JPG

Climbers familiar with The Triad will probably notice that the pictures make the climb look nicer than it is. But hey, that's what pictures are for! Selective memory! wink.gif

• Replies 2
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic