DWR on down products?

Colin

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't do it Colin!

I heard this freaky report of a guy who did that. Somehow DWR plus sweat and body heat make the little fibers interlock and shrink. You won't notice anything until you're in the hills and you wear your jacket. Out of nowhere, BAM, it'll shrink and put you in a strangle-hold and you better have a knife to get that sucker off you before you suffocate. You'll be lucky to escape with your life and the loss of a down jacket.

I'll accept a sixer for the life-saving beta.

Sky

• 5 weeks later...

I talked to the people at McNett about fixing up my down bag, and they gave me a soap called "Down Cleaner Concentrate" and a bottle of spray-on Revivex. I washed the bag as usual with the down soap, and then used about a whole bottle of the Revivex on it. I did the entire outside, and the inside of the hood since I sleep with the hood open sometimes.

It seems like it took forever (2 hours on gentle in the big dryer, and there were still clumps, I airdried it the rest of the way) but the shell feels very nice and water-resistant now. I have not had it out for a test yet, but will report back on how this worked out once I have. The McNett people said that the Revivex sprayed onto the outside of the bag would not harm the down.

• 5 weeks later...
I'm trying to get the low-down on this same thing. My Marmot Arroyo sleeping bag has lost its DWR and wets out just from dew. Sleeping bags expensive, don't want to buy new sleeping bag.

I've recently invented a lightweight shelter out of nylon and aluminum poles. It sheds dew easily and will keep your sleeping bag dry. Please look for my invention, the "tent", in finer outdoor supply stores near you.

yelrotflmao.gif

I crack myself up sometimes! yellaf.gif