haul lines?

hey a question to all those big wallers out there. what's a good brand for a haul line?

also has anyone hauled with an 8mm? it seems scetchy but the weight savings oh man i have a dilemma.

sparky

Edited by sparkytheflash

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have some 3/8" KMIII from New England Ropes that has fared well for hauling/working/general abuse. It has stayed fairly supple in the process, unlike most BlueWater static lines I have had. I also use a Ushba Hogwaller rather than the more aggressive toothed wallhauler/traxion devices.

I like the Stratos by Edelweiss because of the edge protection. Any extra protection/margin on a big wall is good. To save weight use a 9mm half. In a pinch you could lead with the Stratos 9mm.

Static ropes are a little dangerous for hauling, if the pig falls to the end of the line the force generated can pull your anchors. This has happened with dire consequences.

i can't say i've ever heard of dynamic lines being used for hauling. i thought there was too much bouncing and made it hard to haul. if you could tell me more about hauling on dynamic line that would be great.

sparky

I like using a single dynamic line for hauling also--it can serve as an emergency lead line as well. There is no rule that you have to use a static line. I think the only rule to hauling is that after you get to the top of the first pitch, you kick the pig and swear at it to celebrate.

"aren't dynamics harder to haul with?"

You might have a couple extra takes hauling with a dynamic until it gets tight and starts to move the load. I think once it's tight it's the same. I've never used a static so can't honestly compare, however I've hauled a 180 pound haul bag no problem and I'm only 135 lbs.

I forget where I read the story.(or even if it was fiction or not) A party was on a big wall hanging belay. They decided to bail and tossed the haul bag. They realized too late that the end of the static haul line was still tied to the anchors. Everything pulled and they fell to the ground.

The best advice I have for anyone doing something like the Salathe is change arms. Jug with a different arm high on every jug pitch and switch arms aiding also. Like when aiding you pull up and lock off with one arm, and clip your daisy with the other, switch arms every aid pitch. When jugging the lower arm takes more load because your cranking to a lower position relative to your body. On the Salathe I got tennis elbow bigtime, maybe could have averted by changing arms, avoiding repetitive stress.

in my experiences hauling with a dynamic line blows. it takes much more force to move the bag when it gets stuck. we once tried to tow a buddy's car out of a ditch with an old dynamic line and it wouldn't budge, but two tugs with the static chain and it was free. i bought a bluewater 9.2mm haul line at the ace hardware(beleive it, they had the most comprehensive assortment of aid trickery i've ever seen)in st george, utah. it seems just about perfect: not too skinny to fix and jug, reasonalbly slow rap speed when rapping with a gri-gri.

I like the Stratos by Edelweiss because of the edge protection. Any extra protection/margin on a big wall is good. To save weight use a 9mm half. In a pinch you could lead with the Stratos 9mm.

Static ropes are a little dangerous for hauling, if the pig falls to the end of the line the force generated can pull your anchors. This has happened with dire consequences.

hahaha.gifyelrotflmao.gifcantfocus.gif

I have the NE 3/4 Static and it did made the difference for hulling >120#. Hulling with dynamic is a pain in the ass, anchoring to the same system, as your haul is stupid. The haul anchor is only backed up to the belay anchor (two separate anchors) also jugging on dynamic is a new kind of suffering (but sometimes you have to). Get static rope for fixing and hulling ya will not be sorry