London Explosions

Couloir

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When is God complicit and not?

The greater question is, does God/goddess/the gods exist? And would he/she/they give a flying fuck that earthlings are bashing each other?

It's people's belief of who God is, and their "relationship" to God that causes the trouble. We'd all be better off being agnostics, like me. You don't see me going around blowing up buses. Although I occasionally feel like punching someone in the face.

Obviously, you have the Answer. Who knew that simply being noncommital would solve everything? It sure works well in relationships between individuals, of course it will work in relationships among groups.

Wait, I think it's working. I suddenly feel like punching you in the face.

The greater question is, does God/goddess/the gods exist? And would he/she/they give a flying fuck that earthlings are bashing each other?

It's people's belief of who God is, and their "relationship" to God that causes the trouble. We'd all be better off being agnostics, like me. You don't see me going around blowing up buses. Although I occasionally feel like punching someone in the face.

Actually we'd probably be better of as Buddhists. All you freakin agnostics are screwing up the environment with your self indulgent Hummers wink.gif

Actually we'd probably be better of as Buddhists. All you freakin agnostics are screwing up the environment with your self indulgent Hummers wink.gif

Sweetheart, ALL hummers are self-indulgent wink.gif

None. We get the hell back to our own country, our own continent, our own hemisphere, and work on our own problems.

We start producing and using biodiesel, and let the people who live in the Middle East work out their own problsm.

IsolationistsRUs.

Yeah, that worked really well for us in the first half of the 20th century.

rolleyes.gif

Obviously, you have the Answer. Who knew that simply being noncommital would solve everything? It sure works well in relationships between individuals, of course it will work in relationships among groups.

Wait, I think it's working. I suddenly feel like punching you in the face.

I don't think agnosticism is noncommittal. How can you commit to something as unknowable and unidentifiable as the persona of God? I guess I could say, yeah, since I can't concretely identify it, it doesn't exist, but it's so unknowable I can't say it doesn't, either (that's why I'm not atheist). The idea of God is like what happens after death--we all have ideas, but no one knows for sure. No one has come back from being good and dead (I don't count Jesus or Lazurus or NDEs), and said, hey, this is what's it's like...! Live your life accordingly. Who the hell knows? Some people latch onto an idea that gives them peace, power, motivation, anger, etc. Doesn't make it any more real. Or less real. It is what it is, just like the true characteristics or existence of a suprahuman deity.

Don't how you all get any work done. Got to get back to it. Fire away, dudes (and don't you know it's not nice to hit girls?). Me, I'm just trying to get in enough posts to get out of stranger status. rockband.gif

Poor thing, you'll be an official Newbie in no time!

And any belief in any sort of God is an A Priori assumption, just like the belief that there isn't a God. All aspects of the universe are entirely self consistant when either one is assumed, but fundamentally both beliefs are based on a leap of faith. Agnosticism just avoids the decision all together, which is also self consistant wink.gif

and who says "God" has to be a deity? Should read some Taoism.... Trying to name "God" or assign charachteristics or motivations to "God" is rather pointless.

And work is for Wussies who have real jobs! boxing_smiley.gif

Selkirk deals with your response best; but I can't resist adding a tiny little jab as well.

I don't think agnosticism is noncommittal. How can you commit to something as unknowable and unidentifiable as the persona of God? I guess I could say, yeah, since I can't concretely identify it, it doesn't exist, but it's so unknowable I can't say it doesn't, either (that's why I'm not atheist).

Some people latch onto an idea that gives them peace, power, motivation, anger, etc. Doesn't make it any more real.

Fire away, dudes (and don't you know it's not nice to hit girls?).

First, agnostic does mean noncommital. If you are going to use the word to identify your beliefs, you should know what it means. Look it up.

Second, people who believe in God (not the "persona" of God) have found a way to either concretely define it for themselves or decided they don't need a definition to have faith.

Third, "latching on to an idea" is a trite way to describe faith. I realize these religious fools might seem like idiots to you--but the majority of the world for the history of man has believed in a god or a system of gods for all of history. I am not saying that makes them right, but it does give one pause...

And lastly, congratulations on being a girl. My guess is you will hit your newbie status before you make it to womanhood.

Keep posting and work only when you have to.