Mount Baker and mount Shuksan

Neri

The North Ridge of Baker is very difficult to approach right now and will be getting harder as the season progresses. There is a way of approaching the toe of the ridge by crossing the lower compression zone on the Coleman glacier and looking for a small chute which leads to the ridge proper. This approach usually works for late season attempts when the standard approach is near impossible. Be prepared for more exposed ice on the upper route. For a picture of this approach look at the far left side of the picture in the Beckey guide and the Select book. You should be able to spot the unbroken line from left side of the Coleman to the toe of the ridge. Good luck.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi All

Im planing of doing mount Shuksan via Fisher chimney Lake Ann approach and mount Baker via the north ridge with ptarmigan approach in early September. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions/information about the current conditions, or alternative routes if you think it is not the best route for the time.

I’ll appreciated it, thank you

------------------

Neri Carmi

nericarmi@yahoo.com

To all of you who reply so promptly

Thanx for the info I just hoping that the conditions will hold till then and it seem that I’ve done the right route choice.

.... well Im just a little skeptical about Baker but I hope for good and I hope I will not gonna “schlep” to the cascades for a bad weather spell

------------------

Neri Carmi

nericarmi@yahoo.com