[TR] Stuart- Stuart Ice Cliff Glacier 6/22/2005

tyree

Climb: Stuart-Stuart Ice Cliff Glacier

Date of Climb: 6/22/2005

Trip Report:

We went and climbed the Stuart Ice Cliff Glacier last Sunday. I tried to post earlier but was working all week and climbing yesterday. Anyhow it was a great trip, albiet a little out of prime season we still managed to pull it off.2465IMG_2100-med.JPG

The weather was really warm but the aspect of the route allowed for most of it to be climbed in the shade. 2465IMG_2105-med.JPG

The Ice cliff was pretty tame, I was able to climb it with one tool. The crux of the route proved to be the bergschrund above the ice cliff. There was a skethcy ice runnel partialy spaning the gaping schrund. It was about two and a half feet thick at the base. I thought this was dangerous and opted to end run the schrund and climb ice through cliff bands.The ice was shit and in retrospect it probaly wasnt any safer than the partial bridge that the other party we were with took without incident. 2465IMG_2107-med.JPG

Great cramponing led to the upper coulior that near the cornice was waist deep potato soup. Once the soup was devoured it was a chill scramble to the summit

2465IMG_2115-med.JPG

We decended the Sherpa Glacier. The initial coulior was steep soup around 40 degrees and we were kicking of sluff avys the whole way 2465IMG_2128-med.JPG

We found a pretty good alternative to the talus/ boulderfield approach on the way out. It follows the middle fork of mountianeer creek.

Gear Notes:

three ice screws, two tools, crampons.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic