DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME!

Dechristo

In what may be the ultimate "stupid climber trick," Coloradan Rich Purnell led

an overhanging mixed route in Vail with his rope on fire because...well, because

he could. Purnell posed near the lip of the cave climb Quasimodo with the entire

cord below him in flames, making him wish he had worn gloves so he wouldn't char

his paws as he clipped the last bolt. (One wonders if his belayer didn't run

away to cool off in the snow.) "I did it for the aesthetics and the

representation of the two contrasting mediums," Purnell explained in an email.

"[in climbing] you have to come up with new ways to bring back excitement, not

to mention one's appreciation for the gear." To see the wacky Fire & Ice photos

and video clip, visit www.m9ice.com <http://www.m9ice.com > ; Perhaps a new

UIAA test in the works?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I just took a cyanide pill so that I don't have to live in this world anymore...

Rich Purnell: YOU ARE A FUCKING MORON! Probably got a two-page spread in "Climbing" after his remarkable, cutting-edge climb. Nothing like the smell of BURNING ROPE at the crag, not to mention melted rope residue, heat-altered bolts, smoke-stained rock...and the list goes on.

Rich Purnell: Why not drench yourself in gas and FREE SOLO to the top, then light yourself on fire and JUMP. You'll be doing the world a great big favor, as well as creating a truly asthetic climb that contrasts the two mediums of life and death while bringing back some excitement to climbing and creating an appreciation for gear.

And what are the "two contrasting mediums"?? "Ice" and "Fire"?? "Colorado mixed crag shithole posuer fest cock rub festival" and "burning rope"? More like "Nature" and "Modern man's ubiquitous sub-human desire to selfishly defile everything he touches because he is BORED"

Rich Purnell: If you are SO FUCKING BORED, drop me a line and you can repeat your remarkable ascent, ropeless, while I blast you with a flamethrower, you STUPID FUCK.

I'm going alpine climbing. EXCITEMENT!!

This guy has to come up with something new every month to get his name in the press.... he sprayed to the mags how his new route Alcatraz was M14, then Gadd repeated it and said it was M10+ with spurs or M12 bareback.. yellaf.gif damn imagine if you phoned the mags with a new 14d crack and someone repeated it and downgraded it to 10d.

"Rich Purnell: Why not drench yourself in gas and FREE SOLO to the top, then light yourself on fire and JUMP. You'll be doing the world a great big favor, as well as creating a truly asthetic climb that contrasts the two mediums of life and death while bringing back some excitement to climbing and creating an appreciation for gear."

smile.gifyelrotflmao.gifgrin.gif

I'd pay and stand in line to watch that

I must say, this is the coolest type of climbing I've ever seen. I don't know why you all seem to be so mad at this guy experimenting with something that hasn't been done. I'm sure most of you will agree that there are people out there doing much more stupid things to win the Darwin award. Who was that guy who bit off his arm? Much more appealing nominee.

I must say, this is the coolest type of climbing I've ever seen.

I guess you haven't seen the video of the guy that climbed the gigantic frozen popsicle naked whilst a drunken, flame-engulfed dwarf hung from his stretched nutsack.

I guess there was bound to be a crowd excited by the ballyhoo of "Jackass Goes Climbing".

I don't know why you all seem to be so mad at this guy experimenting with something that hasn't been done.

Because it was done entirely for the purposes of self-aggrandizement. Like all media whores if we all ignore him he'll go away. Hopefully before some dwarf gets torched in Rich's magazine coverage.rolleyes.gif