[TR] Sisters Wilderness- Oregon Ski-In 5/28/2005

gapertimmy

Climb: Sisters Wilderness-Oregon Ski-In

Date of Climb: 5/28/2005

Trip Report:

You don't know if you don't go.

Words to live by, and in this case, words to get wet by. Indeed, it was a stormy weekend in the lovely 3 Sisters Wilderness (fahk the forecasters)... but alas, the few hardy cc.com folks who despite a dwindling forecast were front row for some of natures grandeur.... and some of us even got some tasty turns in too.

FRIDAY PM

jlag and i were putting back some coors tall boys en-route to the green lakes th. Upon arrival, we were both astonished to see only 1 other vehicle in the lot... perhaps this was a sign of the forthcoming storm, but we were stoked to get under way.

Just as the sun was setting we arrived at our camp site (thanks MattP thats a great spot), and were treated to one of the most amazing sunsets I've seen in the mountains:

3113Green_Lakes_013.jpg

Mt. Bachelor in evening glow

3113Green_Lakes_023.jpg

jlag taking it all in

3113Green_Lakes_027.jpg

worth the hike in alone

Knowing the forecast was calling for clearing skies around midnight, we crawled into bed with visions of sick corn turns in our heads.

SATURDAY 3AM

Since it had been quite warm, we somehow motivated to get out of the tent at 3am to go get sum on South Sister (via blown away ridge wink.gif ). It was early, but the sunrise was super kewl:

3113Green_Lakes_041.jpg

What a difference 4 days makes, lots of snow gone from brokentop

3113Green_Lakes_049.jpg

eerie morning glow over central oregon

The skin up the blown away ridge route was rather quick... seems like i had just been there. Anyhow, upon rounding the corner at the Lewis Glacier moraine we saw the swarms of uber gapers coming up the standard south route... AND we were greeted with a SUPER FANTASTIC 35-40mph sustained wind! THUPER!!!!!

We decided to keep on keepin it on up the South ridge... the travel was slow as we ducked behind each large rock to get out of the wind... finally about 150' vertical below the false summit, just about as some hail started to fall we sez fahk it, lets ski:

3113Green_Lakes_053.jpg

getting ready to ride away from the storm

3113Green_Lakes_057.jpg

yin/yang bowl from above, again it provided the best turns of the day

The turns were pretty good, considering the conditions. The best turns of the day were had on the fantastic yin/yang slope that i had skied earlier in the week. This great little hill offers about 850' of 35-30ish degree turns... mmm mmm good.

SATURDAY NOONISH

After our tasty turns, we were watering up at Fall Creek. Yours truly was decked out in some serious thug passion, G-G-G-G-UNIT (g for gaper of course) when Thrashador and Fishgrrrrrrrl skinned on up.

Saturday PM was spent chillin at camp, tippin back some OLD E, and shootin the shizzy. Later in the PM we began to watch an amazing storm form to the south of us. We also had word from Camilo that he was enroute from the TH.

Within an hour, that amazing storm was at our tent doorstep's and we were in for a real treat! For about 2 hours the flashes of lightning crashed all around us, and over the top of us, and the thunder shook our little nylon world. Luckily camilo and gang made camp before the worst of the storm hit.

3113Green_Lakes_059-med.jpg

wow, big booms

SUNDAY, NO TURNZ

And the storm just didn't quit. Alarm went off at 4ish, but the skies were still socked in. FAHKIT, no b-top for these d00dz. Fortunately, the rains stopped for our skin out.

The ski out was super quick, and we were back in the real world in no time. Looks like the MAN had been busy that morning.

3113Green_Lakes_064.jpg

Even though the big plans of shredding massive ammounts of gnar gnar corn were not achieved, it was still a super fun weekend. It was nice to hang out with dem slicksters from PDX, sorry i was asleep when you got to camp camilo!

Maybe next year we'll get some good weather for ski in.

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was probably the coolest t-storm I've ever been in. We got zipped up in the tent about 2 minutes before the sky opened up on us. After the first storm when we went looking for you guys, my girlfriend and I were standing by your site watching the lightning from the next storm rolling in. It was pretty amazing and it was lighting up the sky. Even with minimal skiing it was a great time hanging out in the tent eating pasta and drinking 20" Brown bigdrink.gif. Timmy, did you guys make some turns on the Cinder Cone on your way out? We saw some fresh tracks up there as we left.