Mt Jefferson SW Ridge

cragchick

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't had a look at it recently, but I would expect a long approach, and a relativly snow covered ascent up to the red saddle at the base of the summit pinnacle. This portion of the climb is straightforward, mostly featureless snowslopes. The traverse under the pinnacle will probably be in condition, but be wary of rock or icefall from above, especially with warming temps over the course of this week. I would want to be past that part before it really starts cooking in the afternoon sun. On the pinnacle I would expect rotton snow over rock, but otherwise relativly straightforward conditions. I personally prefer a rap off of the pinnacle (don't count on a solid anchor being in place yet), so make sure you have one of those rope thingys. When are you planning on heading over there? I have a feeling lot's is going to change up there (on the pinnacle) over the course of this week. Have you considered any other routes?

NOLSe managed to accidentally dislodge a car size boulder that was being used as a hand hold just below red saddle when we were up there many many years ago. The damn rock cartwheeled down the whole mountain.

the south side of Jeffy is the nastiest pile of stacked boulders I've ever seen...makes North Sister look relatively decent.

As long as its covered in snow, I bet it would actually be fun though.

VW bug. I will never forget the look on Pete's face... yellaf.gif

And let's not forget the death of one climber that happened in the early 90s when the entire ridge he was on crumbled beneath him and he fell to his death. I think it was either on the summit point or near there.

the_finger.gif Jefferson in anything but snow.

I had a blast on Jeff Park Glacier last year. Great conditions on the glacier and ridge. Summit was a bit exciting w/ rotten snow. Overall one of my favorite trips though. Just gotta be careful if you are ever even remotly under the mohler tooth (lots of rockfall that almost got my buddy a few years ago).