Rave for Walrus tents

rock-ice

With a few tent questions going around I thought I would put in my two cents. I bought my Walrus Rapeede XV about 5 years ago for really cheap, but if I had paid full price I would still be happy with it. Its fairly light (sub 6lbs.), very strong and really quick to set up. So if you need a good 4 season tent and can't spend $500, iwould recommend this one. That is if they're still being made...

Does anyone know it walrus is still producing new tents for retail or were they complwtely obsolved (sp?) by msr? Either way, great tent thumbs_up.gif

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to have a Walrus tent (bought it about 15 years ago), and I can't say I was super impressed. It was a lightweight backpacking tent, and the only thing it really had going for it was that it was incredibly light.

It didn't come with a fly (the walls were supposed to be waterproof), and whenever it rained the water would wick through, soaking everything.

Their higher-end tents might have been better.

Yes, they don't seem to have nailed a light model 4 season model that is similar in weight to the Rapide IV (which I've not ever seen in person so that link to the photo was informative).

They have carried the "hub" idea to a few current models. Though it is clearly a 3 season model, I like the Hubba Hubba for the amount of room inside and the full coverage rainfly.

I used to have a Walrus tent (bought it about 15 years ago), and I can't say I was super impressed. It was a lightweight backpacking tent, and the only thing it really had going for it was that it was incredibly light.

It didn't come with a fly (the walls were supposed to be waterproof), and whenever it rained the water would wick through, soaking everything.

I must've had the same one bought around the same time. Leaked copiously, with briefly lessened flow after each seam sealing. Lots of condensation. Not much room. Unstable in winds. Corner stakeout ripped during first use. I loaned it out to someone on the other side of the country whom I knew would never give it back and bought, in turn, an SD, a BD and a Hilleberg.