Alternatives to GriGri

Peter_SS

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A standard ATC with a Locking biner is what I learned with. Its far less expensive than A Gri Gri.

I also know a lot of people that own a reverso. Still less expensive.

Just depends on what your looking for.

Depends who your kid will drop if he/she messes up tongue.gif My son has a Grigri and an ATC-XP and knows how to use both but he'll only belay me or his brother with the Grigri for now. It's too easy to drop someone.

The Trango Cinch is a bit less $ and weight than the Grigri, but less smooth. It should be as secure though.

drC

It's true the Gri-Gri is pricey, but given the life-span of the thing, it's pretty fairly priced. DFA used to go through ATCs every few years, but the Doctor's 7-ish-year-old Gri-Gri is still going. Given the increasing prevalence and proven reliability of these little gems, it seems like a worthwhile purchase. Hey, REI's got 20% off one item for members right now; so score one on the cheap!

If you are worried about being dropped, pay the money for the GriGri. However, if you want to teach your kid the best way to belay, go for the ATC and locking biner. If your kid learns on the ATC, going to the GriGri later on is relatively easy (and safe). However, if he learns on the GriGri, going to the ATC can be a little less safe...