The Big Push

AllYouCanEat

I'm not fat but my nickname is fatboy. I'm not exactly slow or fast. What I am, is a man willing to pay the pauper, which brings me to the subject at hand, "Single day pushes". What has been your experience with them? I sort of have a love/hate relationship; many of which have turned out to be some of the most satisfying trips I've been on. Why then do in one, what may be more enjoyable to do in three? Many of us are part of the working class; as such, must resort to the after work rush - the big push - to get any good lovin'. At least that is, to live up to your ever increasing aspirations and fit them in with the ever changing forecast and conditions. I remember a thread here called, “What in the cascades can’t be climbed in a day?” I guess this would be more like, “What have you done in a day, and what are your thoughts about it?” And, if you don't feel like chest beating, register under alias and beat away. Since I just got smacked down on a long push, I wanted to see what others have mustered the audacity to try. My feeling is that topping a ridge and going down the otherside beyond your average day trip, with little on your back, is exciting.

Mount Olympus:

This trip was great; the day was perfect and everything came together: the weather, timing and snow conditions. The trail makes for an easy approach, the mountain doesn’t offer difficulties beyond minor glacier travel and rock, pretty much rewarding you with a little bit of everything from jungle to glacier. As the big push goes, this would be something that I would do again.

04JasonMoraine.JPG

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

what climb/peak did you 'get smacked down' on?

Olympus remains a 'big push' obj. for me, sounds fun. i take it july or august is a ripe time?

ran up Dome Peak last fall in under 24, felt like it was a good grind, at least for my old bod. prob. something like 35 mi. round trip and a lotta talus hoppin' that time of year. not so much of a 'push' as we did bivy one night and enjoyed the camp. this would be a good non-stop training run for the alpine ninjas.

As one day pushes go, Olympus is one I'd do again. In fact, I did do it again, but I'd even do it again again. If I do do it again again, I hope my feet don't give me terrible pain starting at ten miles still to go, the way they did the first two times.

On my one day attempt of N. Face Shuksan with Bug, we failed in our objective because we tried it in one day. Left Seattle at midnight, trailhead at 3:30 AM, spent five and a half hours bushwacking, got to the base at 9 AM, day had become too warm, loose slides, turned around. Above us we could see a party of three, who had no doubt used the previous day for the approach, just topping out. We would have been more likely to have met our objective if we had taken 2 days-- though it was still a fun hike, surrounded by impressive alpine terrain.

When I think back on my one day climbs, I realize that most of them were really not so long, maybe 12 or 14 hours. Which raises another question: how many hours does a climb have to take to qualify as a BIG push? Any climb done in a day that usually takes two or more?