Petzl Aztarex and Aztar

Dr_Crash

Has anybody used the Aztarex? How it is? I was going to get a third tool to go with my Grivel Air Tech Racing ice ax (mountaineering, straigth shaft, classic pick, B rated shaft)... But a tool like the P'tit Loup or the Grivel Black 3 is 16 oz, and that Aztarex thing is 18 oz...

So... Is a pair of Aztarex a good set of tools for alpine and water ice? Or will I be disappointed when I'll start the latter? If it's good, then I'd rather get one now instead of the third tool and complete the pair later. Is the B rated shaft an issue (likely not at that point in my climbing abilities)?

Is the Aztar much better?

Thanks,

drC

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I bought my wife a pair of Aztars. In general they are a bit short and light for my taste, but are otherwise decent tools. I especially like the grips and leashes. If you plan on doing water ice I would get the Aztar over the Aztarex.

Not sure what I think about the Aztarex. I share Dan’s concerns about the light weight for water fall climbing, but was surprised when I was surprised with several pitches of water ice on Stuart this past March.

So, were you pleasantly surprised (asusming you had them on Stuart)? How did they feel?

drC

Crash, I was pleased with the Azrarex on Stuart. I used a pair of them along with the Irvis crampon. Not sure it’s the right tool for everyone but I tend to like the lighter tools for alpine. I liked it so much, which has me thinking I’d like the Cosmitec also, but would I miss the pinky thing? Aztar and Cosmitec have steel spikes.