Fees and tickets

Blake

Has anyone tried to fight a ticket received from the NPS that they got for not having an overnight sleeping permit in the park? If so, how did it worK and what did you do? I'd rather not spend this thread fighting over if we should get the overnight passes or not.

Secondly, a few months ago there was a thread in Spray which listed all the various fees we are forced to pay to park and access different places, including some kind of Oregon Coast fee. I could not find this by searching, but does anyone else know where this post went?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Has anyone tried to fight a ticket received from the NPS that they got for not having an overnight sleeping permit in the park?

Fill in some details, did they catch you red handed? Or were they just inferring that you slept overnight by the presence of your car at a trailhead?

I once got nabbed for not having a permit in a Park, and though I didn't figure out how to get out of that one, I figured out how to be smarter to avoid getting nabbed in future situations.

I ran into a ranger at an off-trail location in a national recreation area, and she asked where I'd been the nght before, and I mentioned a camp a few miles in from there road where I'd crashed the previous night. Because I admitted to the crime, she gave me a ticket for what I'd done. I should have just plead the fifth I guess.

Yes, now you are learning. Rangers are not your friend. They may like to pretend they are, but only to get you to incriminate yourself. Tell them as little as possible. Remember, the fifth amendment still allows you to not incriminate yourself. I no longer have any interest in saying anything to them and just continue to walk on my way.

All this applies to any contact with Forest Service employees who try to question about compliance with Fee Demo too. Never tell them that you don't have a permit because you don't believe in it. If you don't incriminate yourself, they can't prove you don't have it. The less you talk to officials with ticket writing or enforcement authority the better off your life will be.

Because of your confession, I'm not sure what recourse you have on this particular incident. I guess you would have to say the previous admission was a lie because (make up a reason here).

Yes, rangers are the devil. When I left the NPS, I had to go through a 12-step exorcism and file my horns down... But then I became a school principal and guess what? They grew right back! Bwa-ha-ha-haaaa!

Do you drown puppies in your spare time too, or is that strictly part of the job?