Old SMC Camalots

Couloir

I came across some old SMC Camalots--a whole rack plus some hexes. I'm going to resling everything, but I was wondering if these Camalots are truly a thing of the past and I should avoid them hellno3d.gif, OR reslung, they're good to go?

The whole rack is in excellent shape. I would imagine used maybe once or twice. Some of them not at all. They're simply old. For those that don't remember, these were "the latest thing" at one time. They are like Tricams only hollowed out (in the larger sizes) like hexes.

Any thoughts?

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Ahh SMC Camlocks, had me scratching my head. confused.gif

IMHO SMC camlocks tend to be unstable and funky to place. They work OK but you are better off with Tricams for stability and versatility.

BUT since you own the camlocks, practice with them a bit, do some faux aiding ( place em and stand on them....jump test em) to see exactly how they work. They fell into obscurity for a reason but every person has a skill, mebbe yours is placing bomber Camlocks!

If you decide you don't like them, I heartily recommend selling them on EBay...put the words "RARE" "COLLECTABLE" "CHOUINARD" in the header and you will be guaranteed to make a profit!

They're not that old or rare though, I saw some in Sierra Trading Post a few years ago. I've always wondered why tricams never had a hinged wire like the little camlocks though, that would be cool. Even the wired european tricams don't do it the same way.

I've never climbed with camlocks except once when aiding Wrist Twister up at Squamish and my partner had one on his rack that he had bootied somewhere. I found a place for it that worked great, but it didn't seem like it would be as versitile as a tricam.

I once saw a guy peel off Midway...as 4 SMC Camlocks pulled out. He just missed Jello tower on the way down. The "rescue" by the county sheriff is a whole 'nother story, but of similar mis...effectiveness.

Put the Camlocks in your own collection, or sell'em. There are better active or passive devices these days.

Put the Camlocks in your own collection, or sell'em. There are better active or passive devices these days.

ditto ... the "cam" action is ass-backwards.

Unlike a tricam which uses the point as the fulcrum, the Camlock "cams" by trying to pull the "point" around the lobe ... essentally trying to make the lobe the fulcrum and the point the lobe. Sketchy ... quite frankly I'm surprised this design ever made it into production.

Don't waste your money having them re-slug, take the cash and either buy some tricams or rockcentrics.

That's exactly what I was looking for. thumbs_up.gif

At first glance they tend to make sense. Though I have not placed them in rock, I was trying them out in my garage of all places and though they seem intuitive, I definitely see why you almost have to place them in the perfect crack. Which as we all know, seldom exists. wazzup.gif

I'm reluctant to sell them on Ebay. I'd hate to have them ultimately contribute to someone's death. hellno3d.gif I'm not hurting for cash, maybe I'll just hang onto them.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. bigdrink.gifwave.gif