Backpacking Beta request

Dave_Schuldt

Thinking of doing a loop Starting Huricane Ridge entrance, over Huricane Ridge to the Elwa River, up Long Ridge then back down the the Elwa, Hyden Pass, Cameron Pass, Grand Pass then Obstruction Peak and out the Obstruction Point road. Need to use the entrance near PA because I will be taking the bus. Any random thoughts on this trip? The camps seem to be well spaced so the days shouldn't be to long. Planing on going the week before july 4th or in early September. There looks to be some walk up choss piles I can bag along the way. I don't think there will be any snow travel in late june, is that right? How many people will I run into. I will be solo so I want to stay on the trail or on easy terain off trail.

Thanks.

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Have fun! I've not done a long trip in the ONP since the park started trying to charge large sums of money for walks in the park. I hear they want you to carry bear cans this summer. Along the ridge you won't have much access to water or bear-wires. Lots of elevation loss and gain. Nice area. Nice loop!

If you stay in the valleys, you can get away w/ an eight ounce sil-tarp for shelter!

I don't know how much time you have but another possibility would be to take your route to Dose Meadows and then go ahead and go over Lost Pass and Cameron Pass and then instead of heading over Grand Pass follow Cameron Creek down to Three Forks then go to Deer Park and follow Grand Ridge back to Obstruction Point. That way you would not have to deal with the permit thing in Grand Pass and Grand Valley area.

I suppose there could still be snow on Cameron Pass that time of year but maybe not this year.

In a "usual" snowfall year the north side of Cameron Pass would possibly require carrying an ice axe; this year, who knows? Also, if you plan to go up the Long Ridge trail to Dodger point, then descend to the Elwha River ford at Remann's Cabin, you might want to check what the river level is just before you leave for your trip. The ford is reasonable (mid to upper thigh deep) late in the season, but in late June you might be looking at some chest deep water.