mountainering packs

davelwang

I second the Osprey Aether 60. It is way light for that size. It is not specifically designed for mountaineering, so it doesn't have tool tubes or a crampon patch or an extension collar. But it hold alot for its weight, has a minimal yet functional frame and you can strap nearly anything to it. It is a very similar design to the Ceres...series, but with less climbing-specific features and, thus, lighter weight.

Also, if I were buying a new pack, I would really consider the Cold Cold World packs. Everyone mentions the Chernobyl, but I would look at the Chaos. It is bigger (4000 v 3000 ci), for minimal extra weight. I have seen photos of this pack in Alaska on serious climbs. My buddy has the Chernobyl and it is really maxed out when going multi-day. I would also look at the Granite Gear Alpine Light. This pack looks really good.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, regarding the Aether 60, it has a nifty feature whereby you can use the compression straps, attached further across the pack (the compression straps are on the front, not sides), to really compress the pack to a small size while climbing. I used this on a moderately hard alpine route where we carried minimal day gear up from a base camp. You hardly notice the pack on your back while climbing, but when you need your jacket its there.

The shoulder strap tightening at the base of the straps is a little funky.

That is funky but with custom mods, mine tighten top down, the way I like it. thumbs_up.gif

The shoulder strap was designed this way on purpose .... to keep the loose ends from slapping you in the face in windy conditions

I have never, ever had the ends slap me in the face! Has anyone else? Maybe I'm not out enough in really windy conditions...

Seems counter-intuitive to gather opinions AFTER your purchase. Perhaps you could get out there and let us know what YOU think of it.

Well REI was having a 20% off sale and it was one of the packs i was looking at so I thought I would buy it while it was cheap. I could return it if I decided to get a pack elsewhere

I went to the Marmot store and checked out what packs they had. Marmot definitely had a better selection of alpine packs. Although many people here have recommended the smaller frameless packs I’m not sure that’s what I want so I decided to stick with the Mercury pack. I loaded up a bunch of gear into it and went snowshoeing Saturday. It held my gear, has straps for ice tools, is big enough for weekend outings and was comfortable.