Helluva descent

Thinker

Just found out that my climbing partner broke his ankle on the descent of Outerspace on Sunday...at the time we thought it was just sprained.

We started the climb fully realizing that sunset was at 4:30 and were prepared with headlamps, this time. (Unlike our descent from the top of the apron at Squamish last year, but that's a different story.) Topped out at 6:30 after climbing the last pitch and a half by headlamp and a half moon...ultimately cool experience. After some snacks and downtime at the top and we started the descent. About 10 minutes into it my bud slipped on a short section of downclimbing and took a short hop with a bad landing. In all actuality, it could have just as easily happened in broad daylight.

Needless to say, it slowed us to a snail's pace. We reached the main trail around 1 am, and the trailhead around 3:30. X-rays yesterday showed a full-fledged break. I admire his grit for pushing thru the pain and hobbling out to the trailhead (vs calling in SAR.) I'm not entirely sure I could do the same without some good drugs.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A friend of a friend was on top of Weart when the cairn fell over on her injuring her leg... after limping the 4 hrs out to the car (it would take me at least 5 unijured) she went to the hospital and was told her leg was broken and she had been at risk of the break severing her femoral artery, if it had happened while she was walking out she could have died in minutes or something [Eek!][Eek!] you gotta watch out for those breaks you dont know about, oh and the scary cairns that attack you [Eek!][Eek!]

quote:

Originally posted by Stefan:

I am a little more knowledgeable about breaks in the ankle region since the past couple of weeks. Do you know what the doctors are calling his type of break?

I neglected to ask about that. (Typical of me, though, I'm always getting hammered for forgetting to ask such things as: Is your new baby a boy or a girl? Congrats on your engagement, when is the wedding? etc, etc)

Just got off the phone with him. Sounds like a broken fibular head, nothing too life threatening, and not too painful. Good news. [smile]

Now, please, any of my remaining healthy friends who are reading this, NO ANKLE INJURIES, (or any other kind for that matter)....you guys are killing me! [Eek!]

[ 11-13-2002, 08:40 PM: Message edited by: allison ]

quote:

Originally posted by allison:

I've got a call into him, Stefan. Turns out to be another of my buds. Seems that all of my friends are breaking their ankles this year in that neighborhood!
[Eek!]

Whew!! Given how we feel about each other, I should be injury-free for quite awhile!! [laf]

Greg W