Wilderness First Aid

AA

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The MLU is part of a program on Mount Hood to locate lost climbers. It all goes back to a disaster on Mount Hood in 1986 when 8(?) students from Oregon Episcopal School died in a bad storm on the south side. The search involved every mountain rescue unit in the area, and took a great deal of time since their snow cave was totally buried (they were eventually found over by White River Glacier).

The MLU is basically a bear-tracking system. You rent a "collar" which is inactive from places like REI. When you need help, you pull a red cord to activate a transmitter. IF you are reported as overdue (the frequency is not monitored unless a rescue is in progress) Portland Mountain Rescue can track your location. While the south side of Hood is quite tame in good weather it can be unbelievably brutal at times (winds in the 1986 storm were clocked at over 100mph). This program is an attempt to prevent this incident from happening again.

Problem with the MLU is that someone has to know you are in trouble first. Then you can figure on maybe 2 hours to get people organized at Timberline, then the search can begin. You could be waiting awhile after activating the thing. It is also important you indicate on the sign-in sheet that you are carrying one. They are also a little bulky in my opinion.

neversummer: iain has given an accurate description of what an MLU is. The acronym stands for Mountain Locator Unit.

With regards to AA: I too have taken the WFA course. Twice now, once in 2000 and again just last month. I am not a guide, so I find WFR to be too expensive, too time-consuming, and generally unnecessary, all for reasons cited earlier in this thread and elsewhere.

I did find the WFA course as necessary, however, after many years of close calls with no tradegies. I figure my number is coming up, so I better get acquainted with something beyond the basic Red Cross CPR class. My club in the Tri-Cities subsidizes its members for the WFA class to the tune of about half the cost. I intend to renew/recert every two years from now on, and take other courses as I see appropriate.

As said earlier here, "use it or lose it", so keep up the practice. One course 10 years back will not save you in the long haul. Stay current.

...sobo