The Turkey Monster/ or Wolf Rock

powderhound

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Turkey goes free 11a, but the upper menagerie is closed for falcons this time of year. Barad dur goes free at 11b...some very tall folks say 11a and Wolf rock is not closed. both are serious routes. it may seem like dodges guide is ancient but it was published in 1975 not 1875.

Oh a little more beta might be useful, kind of in a hurry eariler. The descriptions in Dodge will get you up the climbs...worked for me anyway. Carry a fairly comprehensive rack to a 3 camalot for Barad-dur and #4 for turkey. These are both old routes with old bolts. Barad-dur has had some re and retro bolting done but on Turkey very little has been replaced. There is some loose rock on

barad dur and nothing but loose rock on turkey, wear a helmet and test pull your ropes if you rap the monster it has a long history of stuck ropes. A bolt kit to replace belay bolts would be a very good idea on Turkey.

cornvalley climber...Turkey monster beta, 1st pitch 10a mostly bolt protected, if you call those weird pieces of metal bolts. 2nd pitch 10c crack, rotten roof, crack. 3rd pitch 11a bolt ladder featuring aluminum foil hangers. 4th pitch easy scrambling up to the head. the viscious rap begins at the end of the 3rd pitch In my early years I aided the turkey and it is actually easier to free climb the monster...pitch 2 anyway.

Hey retired and Corvallisclimb, noticed corvallis is interested in replacing bolts... beings the menagerie is a ground up bolting ethic and I would gues the route does not have alot of bolts on it anyway, whats the call on replacement of bolts? Certainly no additional bolts should be added.

• 5 weeks later...

I beleive that Wolf Rock IS closed at the moment (Jan1 to Aug31)for raptor nesting. Last time I was there I saw a golden eagle right close to us, looked like he was nesting somewhere high on BaradDur. You might want to call the forest service to make sure.