Canadians Don't Run

catbirdseat

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, If I was ever at Shilshole and the tide slipped out I am not sure if I would crap my pants first or if I would crap my pants while trying to run up the hill. I would probably die trying to warn others. Stupid compassion!!!

I just think it is cool that the camera showed up. What are the odds?

I have to agree with Kyle here Brian. I am sure that you didn't intend to strike a tone that would offend anyone, but a grieving friend or relative could be excused for thinking that the person responsible for the title was making light of their tragic deaths.

I would have found the photos easier to look at if the photographer(s) had survived, but knowing what I did it was a bit tough scrolling through the photos and watching the transition from curiosity, to alarm, and finally to stark terror. It's hard to believe that the final photo was taken in the belief that it would ever be shared with anyone else. I am not sure how I would react to such photos if it had been my parents that were killed, but apparently the recovery of the photos brought some peace and comfort to their survivors, so I'm glad that they found their way back to them.

"They should have started running when the tide started going way, way, out."

So, how many of us would have run if we had been standing on that beach? Remember, hindsight is 20-20. I guarantee you now people will run, or a great majority of them will. The Dec. 27 tsunami was the first one to receive massive exposure in the media. Millions of people now know what they once didn't. That is, they were never properly educated before.

The couple was good friends of my family. I think the photos are a touch morbid, basically since you can feel looking at them the point at which they would've said, "shit, we're fucked now." Documentation of the moments after this realization amounts to a transgression of something too profoundly personal for publication.

"They should have started running when the tide started going way, way, out."

So, how many of us would have run if we had been standing on that beach? Remember, hindsight is 20-20. I guarantee you now people will run, or a great majority of them will. The Dec. 27 tsunami was the first one to receive massive exposure in the media. Millions of people now know what they once didn't. That is, they were never properly educated before.

Tsunamis are rather rare at any one location. By the time the next one hits, everyone has forgotten all about the last one. It reminds me of that Isaac Asimov story...