[TR] Brokentop- Gaper's Delight 2/23/2005

gapertimmy

Climb: Brokentop-Gaper's Delight

Date of Climb: 2/23/2005

Trip Report:

Cruel Summer; The 80's classic from bannanarama should perhaps be remade this year with the title cruel winter. Indeed, us freshie minded fiends here in the pacnw have had a cruel winter.... sitting back, watching the fellas down south constantly getting sum, while nothing but high pressure and pineapple expresses continue to give it to the cascades up the...

But somehow in the midst of the nino, some has been gotten. Here is a tale of two freshie starved peeps, and a magical place called Gaper's Delight.

sleep did not come easy that night. the pre-game anticipation hit hard at 2am. my inner stoke clock woke me up, and the hop-head induced headache answered back.

some vitamin-i put me back to sleep, and for 3 more hours i dreamed of that special place... the magical place that always has some freshies... yet the sun shines warm on the face... that magical place called 'gapers delight'.

pulling into the parking lot at dutchman flat, jlag and i were greeted with an empty lot. plabness. the sled was loaded up, and we were on our way to brokentop's east side.

stepping off the sled at the wilderness boundry, the plabness came to a screeching halt.... a phatty 3" layer of sun crust covered the bounty of freshies. but the magic of gapers delight still beckoned, and we began to wander into the wilderness.

after a short half hour skin, we stood below the beautiful gapers delight. immediately, massive gapage set in. jlag and i could not keep the jaws from dropping while skinning higher.

3113spine.jpg

skinning below schralper's ramp

the views from the ridge were fantastic, but they were soon to be outshined by the blissfull fluff that the face had cached for us. with the first turn off the ride, we fully realized how magical this day would be.

3113jlagshred.jpg

jlag gettin it on the first lap

each lap down the delight ended with basking in the warm central oregon sun. and so the day wound away, up, and down, in the bliss of this alpine playground.

3113bwskin.jpg

earning some more

the turns were just so blissfully powdery, we couldn't help but go back for third's and fourth's.

3113dropin.jpg

jlag dropping in

3113boot.jpg

climbing for some more, jefferson in back

mmmm, freshies

3113turns1.jpg

last few turns

and a good time was had by all.

3113gooday.jpg

headin home

thanks jlag for the good times. thanks gaper's delight for the tight terrain and freshie shots.

Edited by gapertimmy

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Gotta say it just don't get any better than that. Untracked bliss with a beautiful alpine setting, and only 1/2 hour skin from the snowmow. I'm still high from those runs. Thanks to gapertimmy for making it happen, and navigating the sled through wicked bumps. I got home to 2 ice cold buds in the fridge, took me about 10 minutes to pound em in your honor. bigdrink.gif