What makes a route classic?

Francois

Is it position? Is it exposure? Is the experience classic or the route itself? Is it still classic if you have to wait in line to get on it? The word "classic" is a buzzword that needs to be unpackaged. Without unpackaging the definition is meaningless. What are the attributes of the climbs you call classic?

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sticky man....very sticky....I think that what makes a route classic in not position or exposure or even memorable moves...the thing that makes all routes classic is the memories that you have with your friends doing them...the only thing that makes a route classic is you! if you had fun and enjoyed being in a beautiful place with good people on crappy rock(or whatever) then viola' a classic...

that and if chicks dig it! rolleyes.gif

In spite the fact we have "gone around" on this subject, I'll comment because I missed it the first time and there may be others who have joined CC since it went around who also may have an opinion. It's a good subject and hopefully sprayproof!

I'd like to think a classic climb has the same or similar attributes as a classy lady. She stands out in a crowd because of the way she is dressed or carries herself. She commands respect because she she is mysterious yet approachable. And finally she proves that your efforts to get to know her and your subsequent success exceed all your expectations. DPP

Hey Mitch,

You and I know some pretty fun blind drunks. Since we keep repeating the process with them does that make these blind drunks an instant classic?

Also,

I hear the rap into the girls dorm in Chenny is a classic.

By Erik's definition that certianly qualifies it as a classic.

I heard the chicks dug it.

What's your take on this, I heard you had the second repeate on that route?

Where there any blind drunks involved?

see ya!

Ock

moving back onto topic here... (sorry sprayers, no disrespect rolleyes.gif )... it's classic if you enjoyed it and would do it again. if you didn't really specially enjoy it, but would do it again (cause its convenient or always dry or whatever)or you enjoyed it but don't want to do it again, it's just a route. and if you hate it and will never do it again, either it's a pile, or it's a classic and it's you that sucks! (there are many offwidths that put me in the latter category tongue.gif)