Washouts at MRNP

chucK

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Rain, lack of snow keep park areas closed

SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER STAFF AND NEWS SERVICES

MOUNT RAINIER NATIONAL PARK -- Recent heavy rains around Mount Rainier National Park have closed roads and campgrounds.

The Carbon River road in the northwest corner of the park is closed indefinitely because of numerous washouts. The Sunshine Point Campground at the southwest entrance is closed temporarily because of overflow from Tahoma Creek.

The road from the Nisqually entrance to Paradise remains open daily, with the road between Longmire and Paradise opening about 9 a.m. daily, park officials said.

The Paradise snow play area remains closed because of a lack of snow. The Henry Jackson Visitors Center is open only on weekends.

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The road from the Nisqually entrance to Paradise remains open daily, with the road between Longmire and Paradise opening about 9 a.m. daily, park officials said.

The Paradise snow play area remains closed because of a lack of snow.

So with an utter lack of snow it still takes them until 9AM to get the road open? yelrotflmao.gif I believe it. madgo_ron.gif

Back in the day they typically had it before 8 even after heavy overnite snowfall.

A couple of years ago we were marooned at Longmire until after 10 on a clear morning with no overnite precip. Asked the guy running the gift shop deal what their problem was; he replied that "it's like Russia under Kosygin, because they can"

I guess it's time for you to convince the Republican Congress to increase funding for National Parks so they can have adequate staffing. I would assume opening prior to 9am means having at least another shift of 2 rangers in addition to the road crews.

I guess one reason I left the NPS was this assumption by the public that the Feds are always trying to screw the public, just cause they can.

I guess one reason I left the NPS was this assumption by the public that the Feds are always trying to screw the public, just cause they can.

y'know...different thread and all but every time I turn around it seems like the Feds are trying to prove me right. Republican, Shmublican; they all belong to the same union.

dang, that's the road to the istup creek TH right? That's a cool little windy road through the old growth. it was already in kind of rough shape, but looks like it's done for good now.

Itsup Creek yes, I think...Mystic Lake, Carbon Glacier & such. Don't remember the exact distances involved(4? miles)but you can trot right down there from Mowich Lake; you probably won't like it so much hoofing it back UP on the way home.

You know I think I've read something in the news about adding land to the park. Sounds great right? But I'm pretty sure that the addition in question is the Carbon RIver Rd. itself. It seems to me that the plan is to put the road all in the park, declare it wilderness and alakazam- No more road mantainence on the north side. Seems a little like fishy to me. Hopefully someone out there has a little more insight on the topic. tongue.gif

It seems to me that the plan is to put the road all in the park, declare it wilderness and alakazam- No more road mantainence on the north side.

You got it right on, BigWave. That's the plan.

The last MRNP long range planning document I looked over called for adding that chunk of land, gating the road at the existing ranger station, and putting in a NEW campground at the NEW road end (where the ranger station is now.)

It was a pretty much foregone conclusion that the Carbon would take the road out again since the road IS the new flood channel. It's been doing it every winter since it jumped channels. Wild rivers have a funny way of doing that - especially when the road is lower than the river in that area. I believed the NPS "investigated" the costs of fixing the road to make it coexist with the new river channels. Could be done, but it was expensive. However the scales were probably tipped against the idea when they realized how much forest they'd have to take out to do it. Don't think they wanted to try and justify taking out that many trees for a somewhat short chunk of road.

Personally, I think it's a damn shame... but hard to justify the expense. With the existing trailhead at Ipsut, you can take your kids/parents/grandparents on an easy flat hike to get up close and personal with the snout of the Carbon Glacier. Not that exciting for folks like you and me, but my parents thought it was pretty amazing stuff. With a "new" trailhead back at the ranger station, that makes for one looooooong flaaaaaaaat hike, just to get to the snout of the glacier. Also makes for a nasty approach for spring climbs on the north side.

The entire north side won't be left to the woods though. That same master plan, I believe, called for closing the Mowich Rd about 1/2 to 1/4 mile back from Mowich Lake itself. If I remember right, this equates to about the last hairpin turn before you turn onto the straight stretch along the lakeside. Seems like a good compromise. That's like a 10 minute walk or so.

Regarding people getting to Ipsut via Mowich, that's a long haul during the winter. The Mowich Road is gated at the Paul Peak trailhead and usually doesn't open until July. Better to slog the washed out road on the Carbon.

-kurt