Jibbing - Why the Hate?

JayB

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to hear someone in their jibbing prime chime in. The only thing I would add to your post Aidan - is that you should seriously hit it hard before you are 25. I am not sure what exactly happened - but in my case, and that of several friends, things just kind of went to hell on the crater survival front after that point.

Prior to that point, I always walked away from just about any crash-landings with bumps and bruises, (a couple of concussions, a mild sprain, and a couple of broken ribs = total damage from 0-25). Once (at band camp), while attempting to pull off the holy grail of lame old school maneuvers - the full triple daffy - in the Blackcomb Park I I took way, way, way too much speed into the jump and was still heading up way past the end of the landing. I gave up on the holy grail midway into the second daffy, went limp, and resigned myself to my fate. "Shit...Here...It...COMES !". I cratered - literally left a crater 18" deep in the hard pack - while simultaneously blowing out of both skis and boucing upwards. Everything came off - hat, goggles, gloves, poles, skis, fillings - the impact even tore my watch off and delaminated 12" worth of base of off both tips of my skis. When I slithered to a stop with my head pointed downhill I saw the lifties hit the emergency stop button on the lift, and start sprinting in my direction, along with the kid running the hot dog cart in front of the submerged school bus at the base of the park. As they were heading my way I was tentatively checking for toe and finger wiggling capability and tripping to the stars that were shooting across my field of vision. But I was young and walked away with no permanent damage.

Four years later - after a minor crash subsequent to a weak move on the halfpipe, I was dragging myself to the bottom of the pipe with my poles while enduring a barage of verbal abuse and snowballs from the waist high groms tromping back to the top. I have a few friend who have suffered the same fate shortly after hitting the mid 20's mark - minor crash and pop goes the ligament.

I haven't changed the way I ski that much - but after missing the better part of two seasons on the slopes and quite a bit else in the mountains I can't say that I leave ligament integrity out of the cost-benefit equation either.

Jib-On.

Stacyhead.jpg

hitting jumps and messing around in the park is fun, until i overshot the landing and smacked down on a nice hardpack. once the feeling in my feet came back i remembered that pain hurt less when i was a teenager.

i still love getting air but now i only do it when i am assured a super soft landing. i'll bet landing a back flip off a cliff would be an incredible rush but i don't want to injure myself missing the first 20 times.

let jibbers have their fun. they too will get older and mellow out.

FYI east coast skiers kick ass. skiing on ice makes you good. also there are lots of areas where people live nearby and go skiing all the time.

ok bode your right his no holds bard style makes watching downhill somewhat interesting but id much rather watch seth morrison ski a line or a slopestyle competition.

i trying to get as good i can before i get older and my body is less flexable.

and ill agree that east coast jibbers dont get the recognition they diserve i sure as hell wouldnt want to crash on ice....ouch.

Aidan

What hate? I might belong to the demographic of jibbers, but I don't identify with the activity. I have no inclination whatsoever to participate, but there's no hate. The mountains are what interest me. This is the first time I've ever heard of widespread animosity.