[TR] Mt Thielson- Regular route 12/18/2004

letsroll

Climb: Mt Thielson-Regular route

Date of Climb: 12/18/2004

Trip Report:

With the good weather decided to to Thielson (my first trip)for some winter rock. Got a late start at 7:30 am nearly skinned to the base of the summit pinnacle, stashed my skiis. The snow was a little thin on the upper slopes. The scramble to the summit was basically ice and snow free. After picking up my skiis I climbed down a couple hundred feet for what I would hope to be better snow, but no such luck. Hit a few hidden rocks on the way down but lower down the snow was great. Next time with better snow coverage skiing from the base of the summit would be a great trip. Also skiing the western bowl would be SWEET. All and all a great fun trip.

Gear Notes:

ski or snowshoes, Ice axe and crampons

Approach Notes:

snow all the way.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Also skiing the western bowl would be SWEET.

Check avy conditions! In the summer you'll notice at the bottom of the bowl various tree carcasses... the sw bowl is notorious to slide. If snow conditions ever do get fat enough its possible to ski down the se face and launch off the south ridge onto the s west slopes. When it is safe the bowl is a h00t to ski.

Great climb; Thielsen in winter has always been a favorite of mine.

Sounds like a sweet climb. Sounds like better rock conditions than I found on the Tooth up in Snoqualmie Pass on Tuesday (had to aid up a 5.3 pitch because the rock was ice-covered).

I take it from your TR that the road to the trailhead there by Diamond Lake was open when you went up, no? Thanks!