Not climbing related... (scuba diving anyone?)

icegirl

But sporty, so figured I'd post it anyway...

I'm taking in a bunch of scuba tanks to get them hydro'd, (I get a discount since a long long time ago I had a dive shop) I'm happy to pass on the savings if anyone here on cc.com dives and has a tank or two that need the old 5 year check up...

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

25 + or - or so at the dive shop or so I've seen... Of course this includes VIP and half the time an air fill. The intersting thing is, a tank within 1 year of it's hydro date does not technically need a VIP (since they look inside as a part of the test to make sure there is no pitting or cracking) but some anal dive shop attendants will be a pain about it. The place I go to used to slap a sticker on there as well.

Other areas charge different prices.. In South Dakota I hear they cost <20 for an aluminum tank, but then how much diving are ya doing there anyhow wink.gif I've seen prices in the 40+ range.

Locally it seems as though the prices have gone down in the past 10 years.

The best way to do it is to take a whole boatload of tanks to the local hydro testing facility (where most shops take them, usually the same place fire extinguishers are tested) and get the bulk rate, in the past this has worked out quite well.

There is usually a price difference between standard aluminum and HP steel.

I used to work for Underwater Sports on Aurora and one of my responsibilities was doing the hydro tests. I think at the time we charged about $15.00.

The shops that require a VIP within one year of the hydro are gouging. Pretty uncool if they have a monopoly on filling tanks in the area.

On a side note, have you ever dived the Diamond Knot?

yes. many times. Diamond knot is now the diamond flat. All my dives on her were before the "Great Collapse"...

Maybe we should have a cc.com dive outing smile.gif

I stopped in to UW shorts last night (for the first time in YEARS) to use their drysuit clamps so I could test my suit for leaks (they were kind enough to let me play) , it is mostly the same as it was before, Dom is still there, the only big diff is the Nitrox fill station.

Wow. I can't imagine the change after the collapse. I remember hitting the bottom at the bow and seeing some hulking shadows moving around in the cave under the bow, wolf eeels with heads the size of basketballs and huge schools of rock fish hovering around the mast sticking out horizontally from the deck into the murk. Definately one of the better dives I have ever done in WA state.

I gpot my reg serviced at the Shorts a couple years back and Danny charged me full price. if I had talked to Terry, he would have given me a sweet deal because he is a softy.

smile.gif

heh.. some things never change smile.gif

Yeah, I have hours of video of the "old" diamond knot with the wolfies galore...

Apparently now the old "deck" that was vertical has now flopped down on the seafloor, and the masts that used to be out sideways (good for the grappleing hook) are now sitting upright pointed at the surface. Sounds disorienting. The bow and the superstructure are still horizontal, but the whole midsection is no more. Must have made some serious racket when it collapsed. Sounds like it happend rather fast, too, one week it was there, then a couple weeks later it wasn't... Heh.