Helmets Shattering

Bill_Simpkins

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

UV man... (sounds like a super hero). I haven’t heard of new helmets shattering, (not that that means anything), but it only takes a couple years of avid climbing for the affects of UV to breakdown the plastic. Same rules apply to hard hats. I have a fibermetal (plastic) hard hat for work that actually has a replacement date stamped into it (ya, I’ve had it for about 15 years). I’ve had the same Petzl Ecrin for... uh... 11 years so I decided it might be about time to replace it. HIt a few of the local shops and got the same story from everyone. Plastic helmets shatter after UV deterioration. I opted for the HB El Cap (carbon fibre/kevlar). Funny, you visit a construction site and you see these new carbon fibre hard hats. Hmmm I says...

What kind of helmet do you (everyone) wear? Why?

You are right, plastic helmets are designed to shatter (I learnt sumpin tday). I think there’s more to the story though. I mean wouldn’t it be better if it didn’t break at all and could still absorb shock like a polystyrene? Carbon fiber helmets probably come closer to this than plastic.

I’ve heard folks say the HB aren’t ventilated enough and are a little heavier. The El Cap is a bit heavier, but I decided I liked the design enough to carry the extra weight. There is another that’s worth a look if you’re interested... check out the Carbon Dyneema Helmet

http://www.hb.wales.com/helmets.htm

I would be curious to know if there has been comparative tests done regarding different helmets makes and models and the failures from impacts taking UV into consideration.

Helmets are designed to shatter and dissipate the force. If the helmet didnt shatter the skull it transferred the force to might.

Bullshit. Utter bullshit. How is that shattered helmet going to keep the rock from hitting your head? Helmets shatter because they've encountered a force they weren't designed to withstand - they are designed for low force impacts.

Helmets are designed to shatter and dissipate the force. If the helmet didnt shatter the skull it transferred the force to might.

Bullshit. Utter bullshit. How is that shattered helmet going to keep the rock from hitting your head? Helmets shatter because they've encountered a force they weren't designed to withstand - they are designed for low force impacts.

Not BS at all. Depending on the type of helmet it'll deform and then crack/delaminate to absorb energy.

These might be useful reading:

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/safety/tech/articles/issue19_helmet1.pdf

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/safety/tech/articles/issue20_helmets2.pdf

http://www.thebmc.co.uk/safety/tech/articles/issue26_off_centre.pdf

Not BS at all. Depending on the type of helmet it'll deform and then crack/delaminate to absorb energy.

Thanks for the links. The failure mode of the hardhat type helmet (rigid shell w/webbing support) is when the outer shell contacts the webbing. A shattered helmet would then be a failed helmet.

Ade,

How recent are those articles?

I was wearing a half dome a little over a week ago when i got hit by a football size chunk of ice from about 50ft above. I suffered a concussion good enough to keep me in bed and on heavy drugs for the past week. Helmet looks good. No cracks or deformities from what I can tell. Its interesting reading those articles and finding out that the half dome tends to put more of the force on your body than most others. No wonder it hurt so f'in bad!

Maybe its time for a new helmet.