Snake Dike?

dbb

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

dbb,

I reccommend climbing Snake Dike in the true spirit of the valley. Wait for a full moon. Leisurely hike up to the base of the route and watch the sunset. Find a spot in a cave under a large overhanging boulder and build a very small fire as it gets dark. Dose yourself moderately with a pure hallucinogen. Wait for the moon to rise, take the reins and hold on for the ride.

Try not to step on any of the dozens of hikers bivying on top when you summit.

Oh yeah, the water is a good idea too.

Postcard from another life,

Retrosaurus

I did this in summer '99. We hiked up Friday night with a full moon, then bivied off the trail at Little Yosemite. Despite a blistering pace, this hike was very memorable. We reached the rock about 1 hour after sunrise, but there were already 3 parties in line! The first pitch is tricky, and kind of a bottleneck, but the rest of the route goes quickly. All the parties above us moved quickly, so we only saw them as specks on the horizon.

Have fun!

--Michael

ps - the first pitch is the hardest (5.7), and not bolted, as I recall. You can sling a tree, then there is a crux undercling traverse above a polished slab. I think we used a cam (small alien?) here, then a nut just after the traverse.

[This message has been edited by mvs (edited 04-09-2001).]

i did snake dike last fall, bring a couple draws and a couple nuts or small cams. with a 60m rope you can skip the first belay on gear and go staight to a small ledge and bolts. we simul climbed the whole thing which made it a very easy day, but you can easily do it in a day belaying. and you can bum water from backpackers at little yosemite campground 5 miles up the trail. it is called snake hike for a reason though.

jason