Scarpa Freney XT

Dr_Crash

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

NOLSe, that's why shops have return policies laugh.gif FF says I can return them during a month as long as I don't use them outside, and they also know that I might if Distel32's Trango Extreme fit me (though I may keep the Freney for pure ice anyway).

A few boots only at under $200 instead of MSRP $375 (online $320), maybe one pair in my size; they fit; I *did* some research; I am just asking for more since I know a few of you have them.

RE: crampons, it's going to be interesting. They're very asymetrical on the sole. I know that at least Grivel makes a curved adjustment bar for their crampons for that kind of boots. Maybe Petzl and BD do too. I need new crampons since the owner of the ones I've been using wants hers back, and I'll shop with the Freney in hand...

drC

DC, I have a set of those. I love them, what I love is that they are light weight (for a full on boot) and that they fit my feet better than the others I have had. The biggest problem I have had is that the rand does not seem to be very durable. If I get into much scree with these on I often find little tears. I can't say for sure if these pop up more often than the same type tears did on my other boots. Over all I really like mine.

and yes I have crampons that fit. I have a used newmatics and universals both work great.

You will like your Freneys (or any other shoe you can put on):

- if they fit

- if they are specific to the types of climbing you pursue.

I have successfully attached sabertooths (both binding types), sarkens (spir and sidelock), darts, and SMC crampons to my Freneys. Yes I have the original blue ones but I highly doubt the rand has been modified to a degree such that one can’t put these crampons on them.

What else are you hoping to hear? confused.gif

I've seen pictures of sabretooths on the older blue freneys, and it at least looks secure, but when I tried mine on some xt's (42.5), the fit looked sketchy (lots of outside edge sole on one side, lots of crampon not under the sole on the inside edge). I wonder if there was some change from the older model.

G-14s seem to fit XT fine, even with stock bar. the sole of the xt is definitely a different, more curved shape than the old blue Freneys. I found that the old freneys were so lacking in rocker that they couldnt really accept g-14s withut a big gap under the ball odf the foot. the Xts have more rocker, and the curve seems OK too.

Lots of things, nothing (!) is ever simple.

The one word of caution with the new (not the old blue) Freney's is their sole. It is soft and will give the wearer hard time edging on slippery,snow covered slopes. They had this on their Alpha's and I noticed they changed the material last year.

I personally had this problem but intuitively just couldn't accept the obvious "operator error" verdict (I just wasn't that bad, damn it smile.gif). After a while someone else confirmed my experience, and then later I saw the changed sole...

I don't think this is deeming the shoe "second class", but perhaps puts it below the "top-most".

This has the front toe bale grove doesn't it? You can probably get a better selection of crampons for these over the old trango extreme. But then again the old trango extreme was all leather and could be waterproofed.

Either way good boots if they fit well.

chris