Interesting Article on Risk

CPOly

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

i love this quote

"Maddi suggests that well-adjusted people are "good at turning everyday experience into something interesting. My guess is that the safecracker or the mountain climber can't do that as well. They have to do something exciting to get a sense of vitality. It's the only way they have of getting away from the sense that life sucks." Larsen is even blunter: "I think risk takers are a little sociopathic.""

overall a good read

Interesting article - who's been reading back issues of Psychology Today?

I like that they characterize "us" alternately as abnormal, self-realizing, sociopathic, and the "spirit of America". Wonder if any of "them" have ever tried climbing...

Quote:

Salvadore Maddi, Ph.D., of the University of California-Davis warns, high-risk takers may "have a hard time deriving meaning and purpose from everyday life."

The article offers more or less fair treatment of this subject, with the exception of the usual ridiculous assumption that "everyday life" in 2004 is actually a normal human environment. Right. Just like our cave person ancestors spent 45 minutes in traffic each morning, commuting to the water hole. Do psychologists, or anyone else for that matter, really believe that we were made to live as most of us do now? In my opinion, the more amazing fact is that so many human beings can successfully cope with modern existence at all. It is equally surprising that most modern Americans can nourish themselves largely on a diet of cheap substitutes for real life. Television comes to mind.

I read an article once which made guesses on how human beings lived in prehistoric times by comparing their bony injuries to those of athletes in various dangerous sports. They found the closest correlation between ancient humans and...rodeo riders. This article immediately prompted a mental image of Neanderthals ropin' and ridin' a big mammoth, complete with rodeo clowns. Now that must have been living!

My main climbing partner did his Masters and PH.d on risk perception. The study of what satisfies/excites us (individual serotonin management) vs. the actual objective risks we accept in our daily lives is quite fascinating.

We all talk about "getting in your car...blah, blah, blah", but our perecptions of speed, vertical vs. horizontal, height, objects in flight, bodies (human and machine) in motion juxtaposed against frequency of experience makes for very interesting results when surveying "average" folk on what they consider risky behavior. These perceptions cross-referenced against actual death and accident statistics for various activities usually show people are a lousy judge of the objective risks they accept in their lives.

We don't typically acknowledge the risks associated with high velocities in particular, probably because as a species the experience is so new we aren't really wired to chemically acknowledge the risks associated with it.

As a side note: I once watched a woman in heels, a full length fur, and an red umbrella breach a police baracade and walk at a sanquine and regal pace on her way to Bonwitt Tellers in the base of the Hancock building in Chicago while 8-12" ice chunks from the thawing antennaes bombarded all around her (6+ per minute within 30 feet) - she didn't break pace for a moment (even with ice shrapnel spraying her feet) or heed any of our yells to "RUN!LADY!RUN" - but simply strolled into the store giving us a look of complete disdain as she crossed the threshold. If it were an alpine situation crossing a ramp, few climbers I know would ever have dared to make the same crossing...