4 seasoner Tent Questions: HELP needed !!

dxmetal

I am so lost, looking to get my first 4 season tent for

a) 14'ers summit

b) backcountry XC skiing in low elevation

Looking at the following

a) Hilleberg Nammtaj 2

b) Bibler Tempest

c) Eldorado or I tent (concern about vestibule)

d) ID MK1XL

e) Marmot Alpinist : light & cheaper but i dont see any reviews on this tent so far ??? WEIRD ???

f) Mountain Hardware Annapurna

Any Advice ?? which would be easier on managing Condensation while on lower elevation ??

p/s: I met with a MH rep and he told me; unless u are up over 16000 ft, single wall would give u a lot of condensation problems. I was inquiring him about the MH EV2.

PLEASE HELP AS I NEED A TENT SOON !!!!!!!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eldorado, I Tent, ID MK1XL are all fine tents, but are really better suited for alpine climbing where a small foot print and high strength to weight ratio are important.

A double wall tent such as the MH Annapurna (a very sweet looking tent) will have fewer condensation problems than a single wall tent. I use my single wall tent for Alaskan and winter climbing where it is colder and drier.

I use a Bibler I-tent (no vestibule) a lot because it is so light. I use synthetic sleeping bags and have few problems with condensation. It helps to close the tent up fairly tight; opening the door can make condensation worse. The single wall tents vent moisture best, through the walls, when body heat can build up inside the tent and drive vapor out through the walls of the tent. Whatever tent you pick, make sure it is light! I use the i-tent for alpine climbing and ski mountaineering. For regular back packing I am likely to use a bivy sack and a tarp.