Accident on Hood?

sobo

From KATU's web site:

The injured climber, Shaun Olcott, was taken by helicopter to a Portland hospital with a broken arm and broken ribs, said Detective Jim Strovink, spokesman for the Clackamas County Sheriff's Office.

Legacy Emanuel Hospital representatives said Olcott is listed in serious condition.

The second climber who died, Kenny Kasselder, suffered head and back injuries, died at the scene was recovered from the mountain Thursday evening.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad you made it back vw... I thought for sure it was you we were going after. Sad that Kenny didn't make it, my condolences to the family.

On the brighter side, I'm extremely proud of the way the community pulls together when climbers are in trouble. The media, Sheriff, National Guard, mountain rescue teams, Timberline Lodge... hell, even the road construction crews waved us by the backed up traffic on 26 so we could get to the mountain quicker. It's great to have so much support from the community.

Cluck: thanks for the photo...chilling. I sent it to my wife (probably a dumb move). Her response, "you're done with this hobby!"

Cluck/Iain: Any additional info as to how they were climbing? Any pro in place? My impression is that they were using some but that it pulled out?? Where on the headwall did they fall from? Anything to help us all take something away from this tragedy...

November 5, 2004, 5:30 p.m.

Climber Shaun Olcott arrived on November 4 at Legacy Emanuel Hospital &

Health Center following his rescue on Mount Hood. Today, he remains in fair

condition. At this time, neither Shaun nor his family and friends are

interested in doing media interviews or providing personal photos. If this

should change, media will be notified by Legacy Public Relations.

The following is a statement from the Olcott family:

"For now, our concern is focused on Ken's wife and children. Out of respect

for surviving relatives, no details of Thursday's events will be given until

Shaun can speak with them personally to share with them Ken's last moments.

Thanks you all for your concern and your patience is appreciated.

The PMR team that performed the rescue has assured Shaun that he did

everything right. The two were well equipped for their climb. Their

equipment included ice axes, crampons, mountaineering boots, helmets, rope

and foul weather gear. Shaun and Ken had been climbing partners for over

twenty years, and were very experienced mountaineers. Our loss is tough to

accept at this point because Ken was instrumental in introducing many people

either directly or indirectly to the sport of climbing. He has always been

a huge motivator and an inspiration to excel in a sport he truly loved.

Shaun is recovering well from a spiral fracture to the left humerus and

bruising in the orbital sockets. Understandably, emotions are still running

high at this time, and Shaun is very appreciative of the support from his

friends and family. A fund has been established at U.S. Bank to help Ken's

wife and children. Donations can be made in the name of the Kasseldler Fund

at any U.S. Bank location. Thank you all again for all your prayers and

support."

Glad you made it back vw... I thought for sure it was you we were going after.

I felt bad after I checked my email this morning. I didn't realize how many people had known, or found out, that I was going up there. I had emails from people that I hadn't talked to in months wondering if I was ok.

It really hit home to see the video posted on the web, and to hear the 911 call. I'm afraid to open the attachment to see what the helmet looks like frown.gif

My remembrance of a great friend.

Kenny K was a great friend of mine and he will be missed terribly. We grew up together in MT and it took him a couple years before he could convince me to go climbing with him - changed my life forever. When we were younger (5th grade?) a number of people thought we were brothers since we looked alike, and were always together - skiing, biking, swiming and causing some trouble here and there. He visited me at UW in the mid 80s when he was on his way to climb Denali - he came back with harrowing stories about almost freezing to death but still having the time of his life. Kenny ended up in AK and I in CO. He would tell me to get my ass up there and go heli-skiing with him since he was volunteering as a tailgunner for a crew - "it's free!" he would tell me. Though we have kept in touch with a few (too few) phone calls and emails, the last time I saw Kenny in person was for one of our friend's funeral. Kenny was there - holding him in his arms as he was dying. Neither of us ever forgot our friend and always revisited our last big hiking trip through Glacier whenever we talked.

Now I will never forget you Kenny. You've left me with so many great memories that I can barely function right now as they race through my mind. Looking at your life from my point of view - you lived it to its fullest. I can still remember one of our last phone calls - said your wife still has the ass of a 12 year old - how you loved her and your kids more than anything - loved your job - loved AK...I wish I could see you again and give you a big hug. I will do anything and everything your family needs me to do and I know others will also. Later on brother man.