Bush States

Blake

Blake, it should be noted that Kerry won WA (one of your "Kerry States") by about a 56 to 44% margin. Hardly a decisive margin in the vein of 70-30. Contrary to your comments, there are quite a lot of republicans living in this state. Think outside of the Puget Sound metro area heavily populated by democrats.

Including this election, the state has voted for the democratic candidate for the last five or six elections. This doesn't mean the state (even the Seattle metro area) wouldn't again vote for a republican candidate sometime. Albeit, he/she'd have to be a pretty strong candidate to overcome the partisan nature of things around here.

I read in the paper today that Locke (I think it was Locke) won the governor's race and only won 3 out of 39 WA counties. He won the heavily populated metro counties. There is a definite dichotomy between the way the smug city folks think and the way the rest of the state thinks. Go live in E. Washington for a while and you will see opposite points of view are the norm.

Paul, what are you talkign about? I never said that there weren't a lot of republicans in washington, a check of the registered voters would tell anyone that. I've also lived in VERY rural Eastern Washington, and I understand how our state is a microchosm of the nation as a whole in terms of population distribution and politics. All I was saying in my original post is that most of the blue states would seem like decent places to live (excluding SoCal and mid atlantic) but most of the red states would be places I'd hate to live (excluding the northern Rockies.)

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Blake, it should be noted that Kerry won WA (one of your "Kerry States") by about a 56 to 44% margin. Hardly a decisive margin in the vein of 70-30. Contrary to your comments, there are quite a lot of republicans living in this state. Think outside of the Puget Sound metro area heavily populated by democrats.

Including this election, the state has voted for the democratic candidate for the last five or six elections. This doesn't mean the state (even the Seattle metro area) wouldn't again vote for a republican candidate sometime. Albeit, he/she'd have to be a pretty strong candidate to overcome the partisan nature of things around here.

I read in the paper today that Locke (I think it was Locke) won the governor's race and only won 3 out of 39 WA counties. He won the heavily populated metro counties. There is a definite dichotomy between the way the smug city folks think and the way the rest of the state thinks. Go live in E. Washington for a while and you will see opposite points of view are the norm.

Paul, what are you talkign about? I never said that there weren't a lot of republicans in washington, a check of the registered voters would tell anyone that. I've also lived in VERY rural Eastern Washington, and I understand how our state is a microchosm of the nation as a whole in terms of population distribution and politics. All I was saying in my original post is that most of the blue states would seem like decent places to live (excluding SoCal and mid atlantic) but most of the red states would be places I'd hate to live (excluding the northern Rockies.)

Whatever, It was clear that you were over-generalizing. I would not mind living in Alaska, Montana or any number of other states that went to Bush. baisically 50% of the states that went to Bush are pretty decent places to live with climbing and whatever else an outdoor enthusiast can dream of.

baisically 50% of the states that went to Bush are pretty decent places to live with climbing and whatever else an outdoor enthusiast can dream of.

Which ones? FL, MS, AL, AR, TX, OK, MO, OH, KS, ND, SD, NB, NC, SC, GA, VA, WV, KY, TN, KN, IA (that's 21 - 66%!) all would suck to be a climber in. Which leaves the Rocky Mountain West wazzup.gif

There is great climbing in some of those places.

I've lived in some of them. great climbing there maybe; volume , access & quality doesn't compare to the west (or even New England).

You could fit all of the climbing in those states in the Sierra Nevada. This is just a sample:

yosemite-1.4.jpg

I have climbed multi-pitch in numerous states in the south east. Would you like me to find some? I can.

Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and ???

As always you miss the point. There is "climbing" in these states. It's not of the same quantity, quality, and there aren't nearly the number of climbers. Multipitch alpine south of the Mason Dixon yelrotflmao.gif

I have climbed multi-pitch in numerous states in the south east. Would you like me to find some? I can.

Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee and ???

As always you miss the point. There is "climbing" in these states. It's not of the same quantity, quality, and there aren't nearly the number of climbers. Multipitch alpine south of the Mason Dixon yelrotflmao.gif

North Carolina has some fantastic climbing. I jsut think saying that everyplace that voted George Bush is a shit hole is a little stupid. It is clear that there is destination rock climbing in 50%+ of the states that went to Bush.

No thanks, but could you move back there and start bamaclimbers.com and go watch a bunch of NASCAR races for us. Don't call us, we'll call you. Y'all have a good time. wave.gif

No thanks, but could you move back there and start bamaclimbers.com and go watch a bunch of NASCAR races for us. Don't call us, we'll call you. Y'all have a good time. wave.gif

bwa ha ha haa ah a ah aah aha haha aha ha aha a